Improved Private Server Links

Yesterday, I searched for a random roblox game on Google via Safari to test whatever the context menu option existed. However, I tried the same search result again and it appears now.

Awesome! Now people wonā€™t be able to tell what game they are joining, and we can easily send people to crosswoods to get their accounts deleted! :grinning:

1 Like

Hello, how can I get game ID from the New Private Link?
I am making a discord bot and have to get game IDs, but I have no idea how to do itā€¦

1 Like

Shame it got patched, Roblox removes the fun stuff.

This reply may be ramblingā€¦ but hereā€™s the situation as it stands today. Option one is to have your bot use something like puppeteer to follow the new link as it redirects to the old link format where you can then parse the ID from the URI. Thatā€™s definitely not ideal because you need a bloated dependency and itā€™s not the easiest bot to write. Option two is to simply curl the page and parse the Open Graph description tag (<meta property="og:description") to filter by game descriptions, but thatā€™s clearly also not ideal because descriptions can change and someone might edit the description of an experience to get around your bot. So, Iā€™ve implemented a custom meta tag that will look like this: <meta name="roblox:start_place_id" content="THE ID YOU'RE USED TO FROM THE OLD URI"> which will open up a third option to just curl the page and filter by the ID. I waited to reply until merging the code and getting it queued to roll out, so thanks for your patience. I will update this thread when the new meta tag is live and ready for bots to parse. :robot:

4 Likes

Itā€™s alive! :zap::troll::zap:
So, for example, Iā€™ve just curled a link of mine and can see this tag in the html:
<meta name="roblox:start_place_id" content="2686040248">
(shameless plug for Math Obby)

3 Likes

Iā€™m a bit late to this, But are these going to work for Mobile Users sometime in the future? As it stands currently with the new links, They just redirect to the app / google play store. With seemingly no fix insight.

Hey there! Thanks for raising that point. Tapping/clicking the link rather than searching it will ensure that it works as you intend on mobile, but we hear your feedback and the team will put time into investigating a workaround for your use case.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.