Improved Private Server Links

No, they specifically said it Won’t affect normal private server link format and games.

6 Likes

honestly, i know this has been said before, but this may or may not break discord embeds. imagine someone using this to invite people to a crosswoods-type game without people being non the wiser.

4 Likes
5 Likes

oh thank god. thank. God.
so basically this change could be boiled down to:
“hey we’re making the link shorter”
seems innocent enough

7 Likes

Sort of. It makes it easier to share private server links across different platforms than the usual long url just like the share link on youtube. But also deferred deep linking feature so it’s much easier for mobile users to download/update and then join the private server later on.

I do wish that there was some sort of confirmation popup before joining the private server since now the game id is omitted.

5 Likes

Previously generated links will work, but will the same format exist?

5 Likes

I will never miss an opportunity to send folks to Wikipedia for information. They explain the resilience provided by deep links and the additional functionality deferred links provide on this page. Shoutout to all of the Wikipedians in the room :metal:

10 Likes

The format will exist until we’ve rollout out the feature and you click the regenerate button for the server’s link.

6 Likes

Does this mean deep linking with invite data has been fixed and now working?

4 Likes

I was just curious about more so how the link would look, which I’d presume is something like what I mentioned in my edit:
https://www.roblox.com/share?code=643f439fea345f4c83e27a6b3ff73f05&type=Server
though, that’s interesting and good to know. thank you for the information, and have a good one!

1 Like

In the future are you guys gonna add links to join a specific server?

3 Likes

For both Private servers & standard experiences, will this Mask the Experience/Server addresses ?

With the current setup, hackers can easily see the game address, and therefor add it to their games (hack program) and exploit it to enter the game/experience by others.

I understand this can only be achieved if 3rd party option is enabled, but I am hoping the experience address will be masked in the future.

2 Likes

Sorry for bumping this, but the new links seem to open a page, which has to load before redirecting you, which then has to load the game page, and then finally launch the roblox player. This has overall increased the time it takes to join a private server through a link, which I dont think is intended.

1 Like

I appreciate the callout! We’re aware of the latency that redirect introduces and have some ideas for a future improvement to speed up the flow.

5 Likes

Hey there I just wanted you to know on behalf of the roblox mobile community that the new private server link format does not work on mobile devices. Upon clicking mobile users are redirected to the play store or the App Store instead of roblox. This has been a serious issue with the new share code format and I hope you look into it and inform us accordingly.
(On behalf of a mobile user in my community)

(Another message on behalf of a mobile user in my community after the message above):

Hello again, after some troubleshooting the problem is fixed on Android devices but persists on iOS devices. After using a social media browser from an app called “viber” this time I was redirected to the home page of the roblox app. Yet I was not redirected to the private server of the experience. After I used another social media browser from Instagram I was redirected to the private server finally. It seems that the reason why the link fails to redirect us to the game is because of Safari or such browsers I hope this piece of information is useful to solve this issue.

10 Likes

Sorry about the delay! I’ll get back to checking this thread regularly :slightly_smiling_face:
For the issue of linking to the home page rather than the desired page, this is a bug that’s affecting almost all deep links on iOS and we’ve got teams working on getting the fix out the door ASAP.
Next I’ve got a couple questions to help debug the other behavior:
Which community? Is this a Roblox group, Guilded server, etc.
Is the issue of being directed to the App Store/Play Store when the app is already installed still happening? If so, is it happening when you click the link from another app (which app?) or is it happening when you paste the link into the browser (which browser?)
When Safari is failing to redirect you, do you mean that it sends you to an unexpected page, or that you receive a “Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid” message?

1 Like

I tried to copy and paste the link in Safari and it still directed me to the app store. I have roblox installed for a long time and it is fully updated.
By the way, can Roblox add something similar to different social media apps’ “open in ___” in browser Context Menu to force the browser to open the private server link in Roblox?

1 Like

Hello again, thanks for responding to the issue and working on it. For the questions I will try to answer them all here.

At first I want you to know that this problem was not reported by a single game community but rather from multiple iOS users from multiple communities.

For the second question yes, the issue of being redirected to the App Store when the app is already installed still persists but there is no issue on Android devices. It only keeps happening on iOS devices. If you put in the link on browsers like safari and google it redirected me to the App Store but when I clicked on the link through Instagram which uses its own kind of browser I was successfully redirected to the private server.

Lastly by safari failing to redirect me I mean that safari redirects me to the Roblox app page on the App Store . I don’t receive any unexpected page or any address is invalid related message. If there is
anything else you need to know regarding this issue I am interested to help any day.

(Sent on behalf of a user in my community (my ROBLOX game server)).

Thanks, those clarifications were very helpful. Regarding pasting deep links directly into the browser, this is something that Apple chooses not to support. Here’s a blurb from their documentation:

Entering the URL directly into Safari’s address bar will never open the app.

Source Link
That is why the links direct you to the private server when clicked, but direct you to the app store when entered into the browser on iOS. I hope that information is useful.

2 Likes

Hey there! Pasting deep links into Safari is not something that Apple supports. I’m going to direct you to this reply which links to more detailed info: Improved Private Server Links - #43 by spottedriverturtle

Regarding the context menu, can you give an example of a case where you’re not seeing the Open in “Roblox” option? I see that when testing on my iOS device.

1 Like