Improved Xbox FPS with Terrain

Games with large terrain perform far worse on Xbox than on PC and even Mobile.

The quality level on Xbox (which is unable to be changed!!) is too high for terrain to perform well. All the terrain is loaded into view leading to an almost unplayable experience.

I’ve been looking to launch Backpacking onto Xbox, I believe it would be very popular on the platform. However I can’t do this because of the terrain in the game. I’ve tried removing all trees and performance is still poor when looking into the center of the map.

You can test the game on Xbox here: Backpacking_DevBranch - Roblox

If Roblox were able to solve this issue it would allow me to launch my game to Xbox.

I’m currently testing on the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition

2 Likes

Hiah,
Looks like your shadows are taking the longest to render (on PC at least).

My friends and I are developing a similar open world game, though it’s more geared for shooter players. We had to make the decision to drop shadowmap support. Even with LOD’s, and tons of other optimizations, for the game the scale we want to make, shadowmaps wont work.

Not saying Terrain isn’t another culprit on Console, but perhaps it’s something to look in to?

I played both versions of your game, and you’re drawing ROUGHLY the same amount of triangles in both. However you have much less actual draw calls (8000+ vs 1500), so that’s good. Though the normal server had many people playing, whereas the dev server had no one.

On the normal server (with a NVidia GTX 1080), I was hitting 10+ ms render times, which is cutting it a little close considering you only have 16ms to meet target 60 fps.

Perhaps you could make an option in Backpacking where you can turn off shadows, as it appears it’s the thing taking the longest to render.

This increased FPS by about 10 frames on Xbox which is good. However I don’t want PC users to have to use Voxel technology.

There’s no way to set Voxel lighting on only Xbox, so for now I’m stuck until Roblox does anything to help.

1 Like

I am in the same situation my friend.