Improvements to Badge Privacy

I honestly thought this was about youtubers and badges exposing what game they joined. This is just OOOH our event got leaked, and I’m gonna be honest it really doesn’t matter all that much.

24 Likes

nice update. However, I would recommend adding a way to order badges in a game’s page.

16 Likes

I wish this post would have said what happens to the Method that awards a Badge, if the Badge is disabled.

Maybe I am understanding this wrong?

13 Likes

Will there be an option to prevent getting badges? like in the profile “turn off badges” and then we don’t get any from any experiences.

15 Likes

That’s what I was thinking too, seems like an unnecessary extra. Could you imagine like halloween badges for games not being visible to the player just because it’s not halloween anymore?

11 Likes

I like this update, this will help stop badges being leaked for things such as upcoming roblox events.

9 Likes

For this great feature, the team itself that has worked on it should get a badge.

9 Likes

Nice to see badges being worked on. Is there any chance we could see a feature being added like Steam’s hidden achievements? There are several use cases where something like that would be useful, like a secret badge.

8 Likes

Please get rid of the stupid limit for 5 badges only before having to pay with robux.

6 Likes

I genuinely thought that this was about Badges now having a whitelist which allows the badge to be awarded from games/places you allow.

6 Likes

I was expecting this to also include a way to disable/enable the badge being shown in the game’s badge list, and still be able to be awarded unlike the disabled badge that gets completely disabled, a way to simply “hide” badges and still keep them functioning to award players would be great, since the badge list is not that great looking. So I really would like if the badge list was improved or those new features were also considered.

6 Likes

On one hand, this is cool but I think it would be helpful to give us an option to disable a badge but have it show in the badge list for people who already have it. Doing this would make managing time-sensitive badges a lot easier. (I guess I’m really just asking for a hidden badge option)

5 Likes

please add a way to configure badge layout

7 Likes

5 badges seems like more than enough for like 1 day

8 Likes

I used to think it was 5 badges only in total before you had to start paying (not daily) my bad.

5 Likes

If the developer wants it to still show, he can leave the badge enabled and just not award it. Also, this change only affects the API endpoint, as the website already hides disabled badges from users on the experience page. This update just makes it consistent between the website and the API.

I don’t see the issue with this update, it’s affirming the developer’s control over their badges. Let’s say you make a lot of badges which are no longer relevant to your game due to an update. Now you’re forever stuck with 10 irrelevant badges on your experience page? Sounds like a terrible idea.

The purpose of the “Enabled” toggle is not to decide whether the badge is still attainable, that can be defined within your experience’s code. The whole purpose of the toggle is to decide whether or not the badge is visible on the experience page, which is and should be the right of the developer to decide.

3 Likes

The issue is that by having your badge “Enabled” it very much implies that it is obtainable; having badges which are no longer obtainable, visible to everyone on the game-page can be misleading as it implies that the player is simply missing a quest rather than the actual case of the player not completing a seasonal event which is no longer completable. Developers should be able to control whether badges are visible on their game page but the current “all or nothing” system of just hooking onto the enabled property doesn’t really work when former players have already earned said badge.

This isn’t entirely the case, most of the popular Roblox extensions (which a lot of Roblox users use) have been displaying disabled badges for years and will no longer be able to do so anymore; leading to players being unable to see some of the badges on the game-page which they have earned but have since been disabled.

6 Likes

Viewing old badges can still be a good thing for players to be able to do
The API being disabled means you can’t see old disabled badges you earned with the full title and description

5 Likes

I agree that there are a lot of changes that need to be made to improve the badge system, such as the ability for the developer to organize badges on their experience page, or like you are suggesting, a feature that will hide badges that are no longer attainable unless you have already been awarded it.

However, I don’t think that’s related to this update. This update is simply giving developers increased control over the existing functionality of the system, and if you want a feature for your use case it’d be ideal for you to make a feature request for it. The fact that this change hinders a workaround that was previously used doesn’t mean this change shouldn’t be implemented, it means that workaround that you were using should be added as it’s own feature.

For now with the existing system, until roblox adds your feature, a developer can keep the badge visible for all and do what roblox does with their platform badges where they have a subtext which describes that it’s no longer attainable. This way it is not misleading but people can see the badges they’ve gotten, but developers can still hide old outdated badges that may have been replaced or that they’ve deemed irrelevant.

4 Likes

My personal concern is that this has gone into effect before such workaround could be mitigated against, leaving players with “ghost badges” in their inventory which they cannot find on the game-page; even with extensions. Removing a workaround should be avoided to the best of the platform’s ability and ideally a feature for viewing earned-badges that are disabled (on the game-page) should have come before or along with this update. This leads developers with a choice of either allowing players to view older badges, cluttering their game-page or denying players from viewing seasonal badges they may have earned on the game-page; neither of which are ideal for some developers. I understand that updates are gradual and this could very well be on the roadmap but the unfortunate probable scenario is that we are going to be left with this less-than-ideal scenario for many months to come.

5 Likes