Improvements to Badge Privacy

This would actually be amazing, people wouldn’t be able to try and figure out what the badge is based on a photo (like some games have a photo of an object)

5 Likes

I would agree if disabled badges badges were previously visible, however they were not unless you were one of the very small minority using extensions that take advantage of the API to do this. It was just an API change not a website change.

Developers were already forced to make this decision before this update… I don’t see how this changes anything. Developers should not be (and aren’t) expecting their entire player base to have these extensions and building their game or badge design around them.

Again, I support a feature to allow for this, but I don’t see what it has to do with this update. Specifically because it’s NOT removing disabled badges from being viewable on the website, as they were already not viewable by the overwhelming majority of the playerbase. You’re saying this affects developers, but if developers were designing their game around the <1% of users that have extensions which now don’t work, that’s on them.

You can click on the badge in your inventory to get to the badge’s page, then to the game’s page. It’s not like the player is left with a bunch of badges in their inventory from unidentified experiences. And again, this update didn’t even affect this, it has always been the standard for all users except for the small minority who use extensions.

In fact, these extensions can actually adapt to view the user’s inventory to display them on the game’s page when the user has them. So perhaps your previously enjoyed workaround is still viable despite this update! All in all, I think people are way overthinking the impact this update has on users and developers.

5 Likes

finally this has been needed for so incredibly long
now we just need a full badge revamp lol

4 Likes

As long as the ids were known during the event, you can still figure that stuff out after the fact. That’s from what I read in the post.

CC: @pyxfluff

5 Likes

These aren’t really changes worth announcing IMO. The only users who will be affected are users who are trying to develop web scraper tools to find badges that are not currently earnable? Leaks about possible upcoming badges aren’t a bad thing at all, they generate hype. That is a good thing for creators and for players who care enough to look at leaks.

I agree with other comments that I’d actually like my disabled badges to remain visible for players, maybe just greyed out or semitransparent. Not only is it not a bad thing for people to potentially be aware that my badges exist, that’s exactly what I want. For example, I like doing seasonal updates with special badges that are only available during part of the year. Some players are badge hunters who’ll challenge themselves to win every badge they can, and as a developer you want them to know that if they come back during another part of the year they can win some more.

Can we get a simple visibility toggle instead? And for players or creators who are concerned about badge privacy, could we instead get a new privacy setting that lets you hide user badges on your profile? When I first saw this thread’s title, that’s what I assumed this was going to be. That might actually be kind of useful for some people.

2 Likes

How does Web Scraping work ?
I’m curious bcoz if I want to script that using badges… allows you to advance to the next level… or even another game entirely… that won’t be good if they can steal it.
I hope that I am reading this right.

1 Like

Don’t worry, nothing that has been discussed in this thread affects your ability to do what you’re talking about. What you’re trying to do simply requires checking if a player owns a badge or not.

This thread is about Roblox making changes to make it harder for people to use API endpoints to learn about the mere existence of badges that haven’t been released yet by writing external code that fetches information about it, such as its name and description. There is no way to steal badges. The closest thing to a badge being “stealable” that I can think of would be if there’s some security vulnerabilities in the way you coded your badges that would allow an exploiter get a badge without working for it, but that doesn’t have anything to do with what this thread is about.

1 Like

I agree with this idea! Roblox staff should definitely put this idea up on the board.

3 Likes

Thank you. That’s a relief. Was worried I would have to find another way than badges.

I will be using badges to “register” players through a competition, so they would have to go through the event stages (many rounds, to eventually knockout, quarter, semi-finals etc).
If they got their hands on the badges (ahead of time) by cheating, that would spoil the whole setup.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

when outfits gonna get better privacy (this includes being able to fetch users’ current outfit)

3 Likes

Well, this is going to ruin the lives of leakers. No more leaking of Roblox events. This might be a good update for the developers.

2 Likes