Improvements to Model Level Of Detail (LOD)

Is there a possibility that this could be brought to experiences that don’t use streaming enabled?
Maybe a function that toggles between a models streaming mesh and normal quality manually?

Is there a way to view the tri count of the generated streaming mesh? In the past the tri count of the streaming mesh would sometimes be higher than the original. Is there checks in place to prevent issues like that now?

When switching to Streamingmesh, is the generated mesh subject to moderation? In the past when I ran an ipairs loop to change the render fidelity of all the meshes in my game I quickly hit the moderation queue limit which caused an assortment of issues.

43 Likes

It’s great to see LoD is improved. Is there any chance that we can have a function that can change the LoD level of instances manually? this would be very useful for custom LoD systems. Currently, we remove the object or change it with a low-poly version manually.

11 Likes

Not entirely related to your question, but I figured I would mention Roblox already does this for terrain voxels in all experiences regardless of if StreamingEnabled is on or not.

So I think Roblox might be working towards what you’re asking for here, they just haven’t gotten to that point yet.

12 Likes

The second set of screenshots have such a huge difference, at least to me! This is great.

4 Likes

Similar to replies above, model LOD should be accessible even if you don’t use streaming enabled, I don’t use it because I need all parts to be on the client at all times, but I would still like to be able to use the LOD system.

8 Likes

Roblox has actually recently released something to allow you to enable certain models on the client at all times, a really good way to keep the parts you need clients to always see, but also still use streaming enabled New Improvements to Streaming Enabled

1 Like

These look a lot better than the previous ones to the point I might actually lower how far models are streamed in my game:

How the area normally looks when streamed in for comparison

The LODs match the look of the buildings a lot more, even capturing details like their color and their roofs (you can click on one of the images and click on the “next” arrow to compare). One feature I’d like to have is the ability to see how the LODs look up close in Studio without needing to play the game & getting far away from models.

18 Likes

Please also give us the ability to create manual LOD’s. This could allow us to make larger distant features still be performant but still look decent. :smiley:

18 Likes

:bowing_woman:t2: Kon’nichiwa!

Simple question which I think many may be curious about.

Does this change affect performance?

i.e. Was the older version better for performance? Is there not much of a difference? What should we take note of as developers?
12 Likes

Yeah I want to know about performance too, especially for mobile devices

5 Likes

I haven’t been able to notice any changes in a live game upon upgrading the models.

3 Likes

You must use workspace.StreamingEnabled

3 Likes

This is cool and all but I still prefer to use my own LOD loading method for now. This is good for people who don’t have the bandwidth to make their own LOD models and script to load them though.

3 Likes

Yep that is known for “Streaming Mesh”

2 Likes

Nice update! I think this would be better for lower-end devices (phones and tablets). Over all good update and I see a lot of potential for this

2 Likes

Thanks! This is awesome! In the future, can there not be a manual upgrade step. I understand why it’s required now, but it’s kind of annoying!

Anyway, thank you for doing this!

5 Likes

Sorry in advance, I don’t know anything about rendering.
My laptop has framerate issues with Roblox but not other games because it seems Roblox’s optimization is not the best.
Will this new feature impact the optimization of games?

2 Likes

Overall, it looks really good, as you can see from the tree mesh.
But I think the bigger the structures gets, it more falls back into the old LOD type.

ANNOYING BIG BUG

Since the update, I’ve noticed that grouped objects start to move a tiny bit when I move them around the map, which makes it really annoying.

Before moving:

After moving around the map:

7 Likes

Can we use this without streaming?

4 Likes

When enabling Model LOD it’s obviously going to affect gameplay for low end devices, since they have to render way more, if you have it on a high level ofcourse.

2 Likes