Improvements to Object Insertion Workflow [Beta]

In what case were they unable to view Welds or UIGradient?

As for Motor6Ds, I will look into getting that changed. Thanks for the request!

2 Likes

Works flawless! Such an amazing feature.

1 Like

My bad, those were from the old insert menu sorry!

are you using a mod manager for Studio?

I believe that ā€œRight Click > Insert Object > Click on an option from the menuā€ is much faster and easier to use. Especially since if I forget what Iā€™m searching for exactly, Iā€™ll have to click the show all button with the new version, and then look around in the list. Changing the position of the ā€œInsert Objectā€ option also seems like a bad idea, because muscle memory.

1 Like

Iā€™ve unfortunately decided to disable this and avoid trying to use it in the future for the following reasons:

• You canā€™t list all objects (the Ctrl + I keybind is bad UX and does not work)
  • It overall feels less powerful. I like my power tools, I know what I want to insert.

However, I do like the Recommended objects, itā€™d be appreciated if we could permanently toggle showing all objects, this way we can do more powerful stuff easier.

1 Like

Works great so far!

I have 1 issue, and that is when you insert an instance it will not select automatically. Iā€™m very used to that flow and itā€™s pretty weird to not have it.

Also, not sure if this bug is related to this feature, but I can no longer press a letter to filter through the explorer. For example, pressing P would scroll to the first instance that starts with a P, and after pressing it multiple times it would cycle through additional instances that start with P. This bug only started happening after I enabled this feature and has not gone away, whether itā€™s on or off.

Otherwise, this feels significantly more efficient and Iā€™m loving it. I know a lot of people have just memorized the position of the instance they need in the context menu, but I find it a lot easier to just type the first few letters of the instance I need and hit enter.

The Selection behavior should be the same as before. If you open up the Insert Object Widget ( shortcut Ctrl+I) , there should be a checkbox at the top which determines if an object is selected after insertion.
I do not believe the bug you mention is related to the feature, but I will file a report for it.

1 Like

As a further blast to the past, the 2007 insert dialog wasnā€™t much better!
You had to type in the ClassName you wanted to insert:

6 Likes

Hmm, must have missed that. Iā€™ll double check.

:+1:

This works great with my workflow; I keep the insert window visible (itā€™s cozy up there above TC/Game), or right click an object in explorer to have it pop up there too. The Frequently Used is great. Although I never use ClickDetector because I use UserInputService so idk why itā€™s there

cozy

Note: I donā€™t use ctrl+i, or 3D-view right-click menu, or the (+) quick insert (I kept accidentally clicking the plus; it should be locked to the right or left side of the explorer or somethingā€¦ not keep moving around based on name length)

1 Like

Additionally, since the full list is a seperate windowpart, it takes up way more space. I already feel slowed by having to switch between Eplorer, Game, Output, Properties, but now itā€™s just another mess instead of the way before.

Not a big fan right now, it has slowed down my workflow. However in the long run, maybe it being more streamlined will help?

1 Like

Iā€™m not a big fan of how part inserting behaves in certain scenarios.

I use the ā€œPartā€ button in the Home ribbon to quickly insert parts while building. Itā€™s usually the fastest way for me.

However, one issue Iā€™ve seen lately is that if I already have a part selected and try to insert another part, this happens:

This is especially problematic due to it automatically selecting new parts when you first add them, as seen here:

https://gyazo.com/a334d157cda6a1f451d4720ba21abc43

This has slowed down my workflow because Iā€™ll occasionally look at the explorer to see several parts parented to each other instead of in the Workspace or a model like Iā€™d expect, forcing me to manually reparent them. Itā€™s a minor inconvenience, but an annoying one at that. Other than that, this is a pretty nice update!

6 Likes

I thought about how foolish it is to have the plus button on an object but the item doesnt get added to the object you click plus on, and yiu have to manually find the object in workspace for example. And then add it to the object.

I am totally amazed by how sick roblox is getting, I mean, graphic wise its beginning to compete with unreal engine!

I donā€™t want instances inserted under the currently selected instance sometimes.
I would really appreciate a toggle for this because I keep making this mistake, and itā€™s a really really long scroll back up to the top of the explorer.

5 Likes

I donā€™t understand the need to constrain our ability to add objects we want, just now disabling this feature cause I canā€™t find out how to insert my UI contraints.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using this for a while and I like it! Only thing I miss is not being able to scroll and see all the different class types in the plus menu:

3 Likes

@Maximum_ADHD That is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

@realhigbead @PeZsmistic
Opening up the full Insert Objects menu should present you with this option:

@TechSpectrum
Can you re-enabled and show me what you are seeing? You should still be able to search and find what you are looking for.

3 Likes

Enabling this setting actually does help. Iā€™ve worked out why my workflow seemed off with the new Insert Object widget.

The old widget always inserted BaseParts under the selection if appropriate, else the highest level appropriate Instance (Eg. Workspace), which was never other Parts, so thatā€™s why I never had the issue of accidentally inserting Parts under other Parts while using it. However, the new widget does insert Parts under other Parts. The reason why I didnā€™t notice it doing that while I was working until it was too late was because the Explorer didnā€™t scroll the new Instance into view because I had the select toggle disabled, so I couldnā€™t notice the mistake.

Not sure if this warrants anything being changed, but for ideasā€™ sake maybe the Explorer should always scroll the new instance into view if itā€™s not currently visible so mistakes can be noticed faster.

4 Likes