Improving light theme

Currently on Roblox, the light Studio theme is too bright and highly contrasting for comfortable use.

Since light theme uses a pure white background with pure black text, the contrast ratio between text and background colours can be excessively high, leading to strain when trying to read small text. Additionally, dividers and borders are too pronounced, creating distracting and noisy boundaries between UI objects.

Dark mode does not suffer from this problem; the background shade is lighter, while text uses an off-white that has a less extreme contrast ratio. Borders and dividing elements are also much less prominent, meaning they don’t draw attention to themselves and allow the surrounding content to take priority.

This leads to a much more pleasant user experience, especially for the use cases in darkened rooms which dark mode is designed for.

A closer to ideal light theme would take design cues from dark theme and reduce the brightness of the background slightly, as well as potentially subtly lightening the text colour;

In the wider industry, we’ve seen this done before, for example across Office products;

By improving the light theme for Roblox Studio in the same way, developers will be able to more comfortably and easily use Studio, even when they prefer a lighter colour scheme.

36 Likes

I hope I’m not being off-topic, but I’m happy to see people make a post about light theme without stating how bad it is without giving any reasons, but actually give suggestions. I’m not particularly a fan of either dark or light theme, I just stay with whatever is default, but I agree that the difference between the brightness of the colours of the text and background is a bit eye-hurting if that’s a word. Another good example is the Grey theme in Photoshop.

6 Likes

That’s a good example!

I’d envision something similar, like Roblox’s current light UI theme on the website, using light shades of grey.

6 Likes

Personally being a huge fan of light theme, I would love this change. I wouldn’t want it to get too gray though, as that would defeat the purpose of a “light” theme. Some people, including myself, prefer the enhanced visibility light mode offers, and find dark mode to be harsher on the eyes when reading text.

3 Likes