In Depth Map Generation: Caves

How do you feel about this generator that makes caves? Some can get quite lengthy. It would be great for a mining game.

These were generated from my map gen project

3 Likes

Perlin worms?

1 Like

That’s amazing, but the amount of parts your pictures imply existing in that one place makes me whoozy

1 Like

Aureus, I have a system that will remove unnecessary parts, however I am going to take it a step further and it make it not gen at all if it’s not needed

Looks really great; however I think in terms of performance the best way is how The Quarry and Epic Mining generates the terrain (creates necessary bricks as the miner progresses).

EDIT: but I guess that’d depend on what style of game you’re aiming for - an exploration genre or a true mining game.

You can still pre-generate the terrain and then spawn in the bricks according to the data structure of the map. He can also make the terrain mesh hollow just like in those games, just spawning the parts you can see only.

An optimised system would be something like Minesweeper. Tiles (and even “caves” of empty tiles) only show when you exposed (eg dug into).

Basically, you can generate caves into a 3D table, and display these caves only when discovered (yes, also the caves), unless you really must render unexplored areas (like Minecraft does).

Other than that, this looks really cool!

I’m working on making the caves better making them steep into the terrain instead of mostly just a hole