In-Experience Creation of Packages [Disabled]

2 Likes

That doesn’t answer my question. I’m talking about assets from the tooblox not assets created using the api

2 Likes

I know this might be a BIT off topic, but since you’re talking about video assets, do you know when they’re going to be released to the public to upload? and how will uploading them ingame work?

2 Likes

while I think this is a good idea, it’s gonna have to be heavily moderated, or else trolls and individuals with… bad intentions will make… NSFW stuff, to say the least, or in the case of trolls, a sword that kills everyone the moment they take it out, or something of that effect. at the very least devs should have the option to enable/disable players bringing packages into games.

1 Like

Someone already mentioned this in a reply earlier, but please add a permissions option for this. AssetService APIs that give developers control over creating places either in their own or another player’s inventory require a permission checkbox; not providing a permission to control package creation is dangerous, especially for experiences with poor network architecturing.

2 Likes

They already did, i’m just trying to figure out how to turn this on.

1 Like

I’m surprised that the servers are still up. There’s lots of bugs with F3X and I looks like @GigsD4X is neglecting them.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

The API for in-experience creation of packages has been re-enabled!

You can now use the API in your experiences. We have addressed a few issues and added restrictions to further protect what can be taken out of an experience:

• We want to ensure that creators only enable in-experience creation for objects and items that they’ve directly built, and other users’ items are not impacted. When saving from in-experience, underlying assets (e.g. mesh, texture) inside a package must be owned by either the experience creator or the user trying to save.
  • At this time, the API does not support inclusion of UI or GUI elements in the packages.

Please try using the API and leave your thoughts in the comments below! We are actively integrating your ideas and feedback so far on our next steps planning.

4 Likes

Is there a reason why GUI was disabled? It prevents a lot of things like text or signs from being exported.

There seems to be a bug:

Reproduction steps:

1: Insert the Drooling Zombie model from the toolbox
2: Delete all the scripts, configurations, and BodyColors
3: Prompt the user to save this model as a package
4: When they submit, the error occurs

2 Likes

Seems like a huge downgrade from the previous functionality.

This restriction specifically drastically limits the use cases for this API. If the intention is to allow users to build or design models inside of an experience to be used elsewhere, why on earth would you actively restrict creativity by essentially forcing creators to limit users to a preselected collection of assets?

If I’m understanding correctly, this would include the meshes of accessories & consequently prevent me from saving a user’s character to a package - functionality critical to my planned usage. The corresponding Open Cloud endpoint doesn’t seem to bear these restrictions, why the sudden change to the engine API?

2 Likes

There seems to be a bug:

Thanks for reporting the bug. We will take a look at the reported issue and get back within the week.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the report, it looks like a bug reading the properties of Charactermesh.
I will make a fix asap, but for now if you wanna try it out to test, just remove the instance, or use a model that doesn’t have a character mesh.

That said, please note that we currently require meshes/textures used to be created by either the player or experience creator. So using something directly from the marketplace might not work out of the box.

1 Like

Yep…

Here was my use case in my experience (my use case also relied on being able to export character models):
https://x.com/muneebparwazmp/status/1687194412181258240?s=46&t=v7F0mSNNCspli_QTGvb66A

Because the character’s textures and accessories are not owned by me, users are no longer able to use this feature to export outfits from in-game to Roblox Studio.

Could character textures/meshes & accessories please be made exempt from this restriction?

4 Likes

I can use this information to prevent the error I suppose. But why wouldn’t these be allowed?

They’re public assets from the toolbox, so I believe they should be able to be uploaded with. If there’s no way to tell that it’s for public use, and you can’t private them, then I understand if that’s not possible. Otherwise, all public assets should be allowed to be uploaded inside packages ingame!

1 Like

hey excuse me what exactly is instance:new()?
Does it make a new anything?

I know this is off topic but I can’t post anywhere else

1 Like

hi @vopwn55 we are trying to start with limited functionality as we launch this new capability on the platform so that we can evaluate all aspects of the user experience. We plan to support GUI in the future!

1 Like

hi @bluebxrrybot you are exactly right - we want to ensure that only the assets that creators/users want to share publicly are allowed to work with functionalities like in-exp creation saves.

Currently, another team is working on adding permissions to the asset system so that asset access can be controlled on the platform. As this new functionality lights up, we expect APIs to respect the level of access specified at the asset level. For now, we are starting with more restrictions on the API to ensure we are protecting users’ content as we learn and grow the new in-experience creation functionality.

3 Likes

hi @L3gendary_pr0 this currently doesn’t exist. I’d love to learn more about your use case here - when do you think creators would need to delete in-experience created assets? Do you think this requirement changes if users “buy” to save from in-experience?

Hello,

I am receiving errors:

This feature used to work upon release and does not work as expected anymore.

Are there plans to change this behavior? If not, are there workarounds for my scenario of exporting player’s builds again?

Edit:

Please try using the API and leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Ah. Well, my thoughts are as follows:
This is an extremely restrictive change and prevents exporting a hand-built model that happens to have a safe simple roblox-uploaded face texture.

2 Likes