In-experience CSG Performance and Robustness Improvements

Finally something useful unlike the latest UI reskin.

3 Likes

Yeahhhhhhh CSGGGGG UPDAYERUDPATEEE

Can’t wait to mess around with tree chopping

4 Likes

Hyped to add digging/tunneling as an ability to some of the creatures in my game.

Is it possible (even just hypothetically) for the CSG tech to ever support working with meshparts? I.e. a conversion from meshpart geo directly to CSG for example? It would be pretty cool to let people carve into some of the larger trees in my game, chop off branches, behead mushrooms, etc. It would also open the way to more interesting body damage when getting mauled by a giant monster with scythe hands… just saying.

8 Likes

thanks for the update. I would love to see this support running in parallel

2 Likes

Haha R2D2 on an official staff post. That’s fun hehe!

1 Like

I think that would be an amazing suggestion. post it in #feature-requests:engine-features and see what happens! hope you have a nice day!

1 Like

Great update! Now I can make swords that slice through objects realistically! Thank you Roblox for this amazing update!

1 Like

Yes, this is planned. We already have this working internally and are preparing to release it soon.

7 Likes

Do these improvements apply to existing CSGs that were created a long time ago?

2 Likes

The improvements are for doing CSG operations in experience. There should be no difference for published assets (unless you’re doing a CSG operation in experience on said asset, in which case you can get a performance improvement)

2 Likes

Soon ™. There are some technical issues left to solve and some issues related to the usage flow

5 Likes

the 20K issue is unfortunately a bit deeper than CSG itself. The limitation comes from other parts of the engine. There are internal projects to lift this limit (not short term).

4 Likes

Do you have a particular use case for this? It is possible to implement this but I’d like to hear why you want this.

4 Likes

Is this project close to leaving Beta and going Full Release? Is this the full release? It doesn’t say [Beta] I am confused

2 Likes

Yes. We build trains which require upwards of 80 unions per train car. This would be extremely useful to limit the memory and complexity of the asset significantly.

This could also eventually lead to things like painting unions with similar methods to UV mapping.

6 Likes

Amazing! This is fantastic news. Thanks for your hard work.

3 Likes

The new API is currently in an “open beta” phase. This means we’re actively monitoring it and fixing issues as they come up, but there are no restrictions on how you can use it. The good news is that the new GeometryService API is showing excellent stability - in fact, we’re seeing significantly fewer issues than with the old APIs, so I would encourage everyone to use the new GeometryService APIs.

4 Likes

Always nice to see improvements and performance improvements to CSG.

1 Like

This is awesome! Just to clear up some misunderstanding on my part, how exactly does this close the gap in performance when using Parts to CSG? In my experience, I’ve always found CSG to be a performance hinderance (notably with frames), so as a builder, I’ve refrained from using them as I value performance over details almost every time. Thank you for all your hard work, it’s greatly appreciated!

1 Like

CSG Parts should have the same impact (or less) on frames as meshes. Base Parts such as cubes, spheres and so forth are much easier for the gpu. If you observe something different, please let me know as that most likely is a bug :slight_smile:

2 Likes