In-Experience Text Chat Translations

Roblox might not have added Arabic language because it could be hard to support right-to-left languages like Arabic. They also consider how many people speak Arabic on Roblox compared to other languages. Adding a new language needs a lot of work and time for translation and making sure everything works right!

1 Like

I don’t get what you mean, Arabic has more speakers than Russian, though I have found some arabic games with thousands of players and I found many arabic speaking users, I even know some personally

1 Like

I understand that Arabic does indeed have a large number of speakers, and there are Arabic-speaking users and games on ROBLOX. It’s possible that Roblox hasn’t added Arabic yet due to various reasons

I think these are the possible reasons that came to my mind

• The letters are connected, making it harder to make a font [already they added Vietnamese when many of it’s letters doesn’t even have font support]

• The letters have a ton of dots [not diacritics, they are actually a part of the letters, already many latin script letters have diacritics (not in English, in languages like Frênçh, Spáñísh, Germän etc. and added the diacritics to the letters to show)]

though If there are more possible outcomes then let me know

1 Like

With lots of Arabic players on Roblox it’s important to think about adding Arabic language support. It takes work but it’ll make the experience better and keep players engaged Hopefully Arabic gets added soon

1 Like
3 Likes

Oh boy not only its right to left is a problem
There is also a problem of having like 22 dialects
If im not counting the ones that are in different parts of each Arab country
English:how are you
Egyptian: ازيك
Saudi:كيف حالك
Put these in google translation and listen to their pronounce
Every dialect is a mini language
See that iron that you use on your clothes? Well guess what if you say it in the Egyptian dialect the Saudis will think you are talking about the pooping part of the body when you are trying to tell them you want to use it to iron your clothes :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

I never faced any Right to Left issues as I’m Right Handed, I recently learned the Hebrew Alefbet and Hebrew is an Right to Left language but that was only because Arabic is my second language, also English already has a ton of dialects with the most notable being the American and the British dialects. Many countries including the UAE also use the Saudi Dialect

Here is an example of the word “Color”:

American: Color
British: Colour

1 Like

Understanding Modern Standard Arabic allows individuals to communicate effectively across the Arab world. While dialects may vary significantly at times, people can generally comprehend and communicate well by utilizing Modern Standard Arabic as a common means of communication

Difference between british and American dialects is no where close the difference between Egyptian or saudi dialect when compared to Moroccon dialect lol

2 Likes

A small explaination about arabic dialects lol

3 Likes

not gonna lie you’re 100% true, but in the british dialect, they sort of change the sound of the letter “T” to be pronounced like ʔ [IPA Symbol], but is oftentimes reference as an apostrophe when written, pretty much like how Uzbek Latin writes ü as o‘ and ğ as g‘, and some roads I see writes ع as 'a, but some people use 3 since it has a similar shape to an 3

anyways let’s stop going off-topic in an announcement and stay on-topic

It’s probably translating more format terms and not words like “skibidi toilet” or “Fanum tax” or “Ohio gyat rizzler”

2 Likes

Nice update, glad the translation is optional.

For multilinguals, can we get an option to choose multiple languages to exclude them from translation?

I don’t see why the “show original message” button should be hidden by default. I think all translated messages should be marked as such so as to avoid any misunderstandings in case the translation isn’t 100% accurate.

1 Like

Support for custom chat systems is needed

This feature has actually been really helpful already. I’ve talked to people speaking languages I don’t know, and it’s proven to be pretty great so far. Not sure how accurate it is, but it’s enough that I don’t have to Google translate everything they’re saying.

Edit: elaborated on a couple things

This is a great addition to TextChatService, but there are 2 reasons why I have not implemented this service into my game yet. The first and biggest reason is a lack of default text channel tabs UI, especially a tab for private messages between 2 players. Another smaller reason is the lack of an ability for the player to dynamically resize the chatting window in-game like the legacy chat. I think once these two features are supported in the new TextChatService, I will definitely start using it.

1 Like

It absolutely is. You cannot offer an engine to developers and limit their customizability abilities like this. If I want to be able to customize the chat however I want, I should be able to. If I want to add a, for example, profile icons to the chat, I should be able to.

LegacyChatService will always be superior to TextChatService in terms of customization and freedom. And it should be.

I’ve turned it on and it doesn’t seem to do anything at all. All the russian text is still russian, polish is still polish, german is still german, turkish is still turkish etc. I don’t see ANY difference with it enabled compared to it being disabled.

Edit: Wait it HAS to be the new chat for it to work? There is like 3 million games that still have the old chat. This doesn’t seem usefull if the older chat doesn’t support it.

There is no plans to support the old chat as that is no longer updated by Roblox. The game requires to have the new chat for it to work.