In-Experience Text Chat Translations

Hi Creators!

To further our mission of connecting billions of people, we’re excited to roll out automatic chat translations, enabling users worldwide to seamlessly communicate with one another in real-time, across language barriers.

Starting today, users across the globe can chat with other community members in their preferred language. For example, a user in Japan can type a chat message in Japanese and an English-speaking user will see it in English, while at the same time a Spanish-speaking user will read and respond to the message in Spanish. This new feature will help facilitate seamless real-time communication across the 16 languages that Roblox currently supports:

• Chinese (Simplified)

• Chinese (Traditional)

• English

• German

• French

• Indonesian

• Italian

• Japanese

• Korean

• Polish

• Portuguese

• Russian

• Spanish

• Thai

• Turkish

• Vietnamese

Automatic chat translation is available in all experiences that leverage TextChatService.

This rollout builds on the successful experiments we ran in 2023, which showed positive impacts on playtime, chat engagement, and session quality.

Chat Translation for Users

When users in supported languages join a chat translation-enabled experience, they will see a system message telling them chat is being automatically translated. From there, messages they receive will be automatically translated into their language as long as the sender is also in a supported language.

If a user wants to know which specific messages are translated, they have an option in the Settings menu to enable a toggle in front of translated messages which allows them to switch between the original message and the translation. Clicking on the toggle will affect the text in both the chat window and Bubble Chat.

chat-translation-toggle-demo

If a user wants to turn chat translation off, they will be able to via the Settings menu. When chat translation is turned off, all messages will revert back to their original form.

Here’s an example of chat translation and all the settings mentioned above in action:

Chat Translation for Creators

For experiences that use TextChatService, messages will be translated and displayed to players with no changes required. However, we know many of you customize the chat messages for your experience, and currently any formatting you add to messages will not show on translations. You can format translated messages using a new text chat message property called Translation.

For example, to make a translated message pink, you can add the following LocalScript to StarterPlayerScripts:

local TextChatService = game:GetService("TextChatService")

local FONT_COLOR = “#FF007F”
local FORMAT_STRING = `<font color='{FONT_COLOR}'>%s</font>`

local function onIncomingMessage(textChatMessage: TextChatMessage)
	local properties = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")

properties.Text = string.format(FORMAT_STRING, textChatMessage.Text)

if textChatMessage.Translation then
		properties.Translation = string.format(FORMAT_STRING, textChatMessage.Translation)
	end

return properties
end

TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage = onIncomingChatMessage

Please note that we do not plan to support chat translation in legacy chat, which has been deprecated and is no longer actively maintained. If you haven’t migrated to TextChatService yet, please follow these instructions.

What’s Ahead

User-to-user communication is a new frontier for Roblox, and we look forward to continuously improving and evolving in this area. Some things we are thinking about for the future:

• Allowing users to choose which language they want chat translated into
  • Providing a feedback mechanism so users can notify us of bad or missing translations
  • Working to improve our machine translation model to provide better and more accurate translations

We’ll continue sharing our progress here, and you can also check our Creator Roadmap to stay updated on what’s ahead. As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Best,
Creator Translation Team

207 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I haven’t received the update yet, but I’m excited to try it out. Will all users have it by the end of the day?

18 Likes

This is a long awaited change. This will also be an awesome change for every single game that relies on talking to others.

The ability to speak to others fluently without language barriers will open up all sorts of playerbases and will also allow them to communicate with each other too, without seperation.

So thank you very much.

17 Likes

This is a big and great change, but I only hope that the translation was improved, like as a french, no you don’t translate “Killstreak” to “Tuerie”…

I’ll check that out!

11 Likes

This is a good update, but I am wondering if there will be support for the LegacyChatService as some people prefer that over TextChatService, and the listed languages reminds me of Apple’s Translate app language support. and since at an AMA, I was told that there is arabic support but there really isn’t arabic support, There is just Right to Left support, Overall, this is a good update

17 Likes

This is great but have you thought of how to tackle translation errors? They could be critical to the context of the message

12 Likes

This update looks great! I’m excited to try it out.

7 Likes

This a game changer! I’m genuinely thrilled about the automatic chat translations. The ability for users worldwide to seamlessly communicate in real-time, breaking language barriers, is truly remarkable. Your efforts are greatly appreciated – thank you for enhancing the gaming experience for players around the world! :+1:

8 Likes

That’s fire! Can’t wait to try it out!

8 Likes

This update is wonderful, it will be able to solve many conversations for many users!

10 Likes

Nice! As player, this is GREAT.

I always wanted to talk with somebody, but sadly they talked chinese/japanese.

Now I can communicate without translating on Google Translator etc, becuase everyone can translate my message and I can translate their message.

thank you, roblox, W :+1:

11 Likes

Will there also be manual translation for developers?
So that we can, for example, translate the name of a player’s shop.

9 Likes

When will this be live for everyone?

8 Likes

This is insane!! I saw plans for this a while ago, and I am thrilled it’s out, it opens up so many barriers talking to fans across the world!

9 Likes

This is awesome! Are there any plans to implement a Lua API for translating text between players? Our experience has a direct and group messaging feature which allows players to chat together one-to-one or one-to-many. We’d love to be able to support realtime translations for that feature.

8 Likes

Uhm this is already there. I think as LocalisationService.
Very nice Update!

8 Likes

i can finally understand what those random foreign servers i get put in are

6 Likes

Having this is super important features is an automatic W. It allows players to not require any translations off screen or not try to leave the game because of someone speaking in a different language. This is what we needed instead of relying on unreliable language translation or having someone else doing it.

6 Likes

question. does filter also work with translation?
but also finaly i can understand whatever russian kids are saying in chat :pray:

9 Likes