In-Experience Text Chat Translations

Very interesting, however how does this fare with slangs and abbreviations?

8 Likes

If ya’ll can utilize AI to translate slang, that’d be sick.

7 Likes

For anyone that has used something like this before, was it more accurate than manual translation, the same or worse?

Thinking about using it but, not sure.

6 Likes

Looks amazing. Roblox has been keeping up with new features and improvements that really help developers and not only that, but also in-game moderators. Thank you Roblox, and keep up the good work! :+1:

8 Likes

Very cool stuff. About connecting billions of people using chat… maybe console users can also be a part of it? :))

6 Likes

Are there any plans to provide an indicator that a text chat has been translated? Right now, the only indicator is when this is disabled (per the demo video where an integrated translate option is available), but it would be helpful to have some icon/indicator to denote that auto translation is occurring.

There’s a couple reasons that immediately come to mind.

1. There should always be some indicator that the message you are sending (or receiving) is not necessarily what was sent (i.e., there is a middle man - this being auto translation)
  2. (building from 1) That any messages that seem strange or unnatural might be a consequence of a translation error vs what the original chatter actually intended (ex: the difference between saying “please leave” versus “get out” has huge connotation differences but could easily be mis-translated. Showing that there is a translation could smooth things out and afford benefit of doubt vice assuming that every message in your language of choice is being constructed by someone with a working understanding and/or base fluency of it).
8 Likes

This is a huge change. Probably one of the best Roblox has done. Amazing to be able to chat with other people that may not be able to speak English or any other language that you speak. Great to knock down the language barrier!

5 Likes

I will never use the TextChatService. LegacyChatService is still superior in many places, not just performance, but customisation of it is just 100x better than anything TextChatService could even dream of.

The fact no Translation API was provided for users who do still prefer to use the older chat system is just another place where Roblox is trying to force new stuff instead of realising that the majority of people still use the old thing.

I understand wanting to stick to the new thing with new features, but not fixing bugs or providing APIs to patch in new features into the legacy system? (looks at friend aliases)

15 Likes

I agree. Multiple of our systems aren’t even functional on the new TextChatService.

7 Likes

This is a great change! However, for people who still use LegacyChatService for their own chat systems(like mine), will there ever be an API for this? I would love to support translation for my own chat system too.

5 Likes

This is actually huge. No more of the days of joining a server with chat that is filled with other languages.

3 Likes

This is a Roblox W of the highest degree.

3 Likes

Amazing update! Usually during the late hours on the East coast, servers have either French Canadian, Russian or Spanish speaking players. This will make it much easier to communicate with them!

3 Likes

awesome! this is a really good feature!!

3 Likes

Roblox usually rolls out features in the same fashion by slowly adding this update to new users every day until everyone has it. You could get it today, but also many weeks later, so nobody really knows when they get this feature.

3 Likes

There is an option in the settings menu to enable a translation indicator and the ability to switch between translation and source value from the chat window

4 Likes

Could you elaborate on why you prefer the legacy chat? I, for one, much prefer the new one. It has more features (commands, emoji lookup, and now real-time translation), and it looks much better.

3 Likes

I hope they add this to the LegacyChatService, paired with its better custom ability, it will be a qol addition.

4 Likes

I wonder if more languages will be supported.
Mine is still not supported. The interesting thing about unsupported languages ​​is that it allows swear words and bans common words. For example, “ahojte” forbids, and it means “hello”.

But this translate update is great.

3 Likes

This is excellent. The harsh language barrier it has forced developers to build game’s for different communities is over… Jus’t dont go to chat in the roblox website, you won’t understand :grimacing:

2 Likes