In-Experience Text Chat Translations

Another cool update from Roblox, thank you.
very proud of the update this time because this is what will unite the world’s roleplay games and the game team that is very needed
and a game based on a lot of communication

Once again, thank you roblox for the update developers will be very grateful for this great update

update that changes everything about the communication language

Cool that you added this to xbox too, one problem though, there is no chat on consoles.

13 Likes

I use a custom chat system and I would like to add this functionality. With that in mind, I have a few questions about this new feature.

1. How does this work? Webhooks?
  2. Is there an API available?
  3. What service is used to translate the text? Google Translate or something else?
  4. Does the translation happen on the client or the server?

These are some questions that I would like to see answered.

1 Like

This is very important imo. Roblox is one of the only companies actually pushing AI into the public in a major way by integrating it into our dev tools and now our interactions with foreign players. As users AND devs, for our sanity and for the reliability of our perception of reality, we should always get to know when we’re looking at synthesized reality (AI) or real reality, especially if the source of the AI is roblox.

Between the built in AI material generator, the built in AI script generator, the built in AI animation pose video capture, and whatever the next years will bring given that this is the first year of the roblox AI hype… I am worried about what it is going to mean to be a roblox developer and user in the future.

3 Likes

This doesn’t exist. You’re thinking about the fact that you can have predetermined text translated. He’s talking about user generated text that has likely never been written before! He wants to be able to translate that in real time, just like with their chat.

No. I think about the Translation service. Can’t you use it in live game?

i got the update it works amazingly but sometimes it doesn’t get all the words but it works i can finally understand foreign servers

Large amount of the translations seem to just be it changing it from all caps to lower case, or capitalising the first letter of words, sometimes it marks text as translated without changing anything at all- a simple filter to check if your AI output is the same as the original ignoring case would greatly improve the UX imo.

1 Like

Would there be a live translation API to be able to integrate translations to LegacyChatService or would it be integrated same way as in new chat service, since I don’t use new chat service because of the still present large performance regress and other issues like being unable to unlock full potential by modifying its code.

Regardless, this is a good accessibility update as a player. I am at times end up in servers with many players speaking non-english/non-russian with no way of me communicating.

6 Likes

Epic! Now I don’t need to keep server-hopping to a server that speaks my language, sadly it doesn’t support legacy chat.

This would also be cruical for making a custom chat system. We need a way to use the real-time translation API!

ok but when do we get to set custom positions with textchatservice instead of getting the basic options?

A great feature and I am waiting for the Arabic language :fire:

3 Likes

Roblox might not have added Arabic language because it could be hard to support right-to-left languages like Arabic. They also consider how many people speak Arabic on Roblox compared to other languages. Adding a new language needs a lot of work and time for translation and making sure everything works right!

1 Like

I don’t get what you mean, Arabic has more speakers than Russian, though I have found some arabic games with thousands of players and I found many arabic speaking users, I even know some personally

1 Like

I understand that Arabic does indeed have a large number of speakers, and there are Arabic-speaking users and games on ROBLOX. It’s possible that Roblox hasn’t added Arabic yet due to various reasons

I think these are the possible reasons that came to my mind

• The letters are connected, making it harder to make a font [already they added Vietnamese when many of it’s letters doesn’t even have font support]

• The letters have a ton of dots [not diacritics, they are actually a part of the letters, already many latin script letters have diacritics (not in English, in languages like Frênçh, Spáñísh, Germän etc. and added the diacritics to the letters to show)]

though If there are more possible outcomes then let me know

1 Like

With lots of Arabic players on Roblox it’s important to think about adding Arabic language support. It takes work but it’ll make the experience better and keep players engaged Hopefully Arabic gets added soon

1 Like
3 Likes

Oh boy not only its right to left is a problem
There is also a problem of having like 22 dialects
If im not counting the ones that are in different parts of each Arab country
English:how are you
Egyptian: ازيك
Saudi:كيف حالك
Put these in google translation and listen to their pronounce
Every dialect is a mini language
See that iron that you use on your clothes? Well guess what if you say it in the Egyptian dialect the Saudis will think you are talking about the pooping part of the body when you are trying to tell them you want to use it to iron your clothes :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes