In-game admin running off trello

Do you recommend using trello to receive data such as game admins and bans or should I just add that to the script?

3 Likes

Trello has both rate limits and a limit of 4000 cards in one board. It’s also not intended to be used as a logging service, for audit logs or otherwise. So it might not be a good idea to rely on it, especially if you don’t have a backup plan for if you can’t use it anymore.

5 Likes

Check and judge for yourself:
https://developers.trello.com/docs/limits
https://help.trello.com/article/838-api-rate-limits

This is probably fine for i.e. hobbyist places intended for clans, but for serious game projects you should probably find/implement a more appropriate solution that is actually intended for this kind of functionality.

3 Likes

I am using Trello to store admins and bans as part of Adonis Admin, and it seems to be working perfectly fine for a clan.

I figure out that using Trello to store bans, and mutes are the best method for usage of Trello in admin commands perspective. What you don’t wanna use Trello for is logging anything as it has a 4000 card limit. If you’re looking to store a huge amount of data my recommendation would be this. Since Roblox added RequestAsync you can modify and delete data using this site. I’m not sure on its reliability so use Roblox DataStore as a backup method. Speaking about Roblox DataStore why not use it? It’s a very reliable method. It’s built into Roblox so the chances of it going down are very low compared to a third-party source.

What to use Trello for:

• Storing bans
  • Storing admin settings
  • Ability to send a message to the server live
  • Cross game communication that is not in the same universe (Do not rely on this too much)

What to not use Trello for:

• Logging anything (i.e. Chat Logs, Commands Logs, and etc…)
  • Using it to store player data (Very unreliable and data can be lost of Trello is down)

If you want a good Trello API use @nstrike159 's trelloAPI

2 Likes

I use my own script for getting admins and bans from trello and it work’s perfectly.

1 Like

Try not to rely on third-party services if you’re going to be working on an actual game. If they do something, it could totally ruin everything.

I recommend storing it in a way that you have 100% control.

1 Like

Realistically, it shouldn’t be a big deal if you lose your ban list or admin list. An admin list shouldn’t be big enough to lose, and you should probably be using a group rank for that anyway. As for bans, they shouldn’t actually be a necessity as in a large scale game you won’t catch all your exploiters anyway. Chances are if someone is using a third party service such as trello they won’t run into such issues, though trello has issues with why you just shouldn’t use it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t suggest using Trello as it does currently have very strict rate limits and isn’t designed for datastores. If anything I’d suggest using slack which works well in my opinon.

I mean, if it’s that small, why not just store it in the script?

1 Like

Instant updates across all servers. Storing it in a script would require a new server.

Yeah, but if there’s only a few servers it wouldn’t be that bad… I mean, you could manually kick them from each server which isn’t as simple as just using trello but then you at least know they’re not going to be coming back (on that account).

But really you shouldn’t be banning people anyway, especially if the game is small. They’ll just make an alt and come back.

Perhaps a good method if you’re trying to avoid using a service like Trello, not use an external database, not use datastores, and have it update in real-time across servers would probably be to just create a module-script with the admins in it that the server calls every 30 seconds or so.

Personally, I would just base admins off of either a group or a datastore that’s just a table of userIds, and I would definitely (assuming no external databases), use a datastore that the server calls for each client to check if they’re banned.

I’d recommend just using datastores and then making a UI that gets activated by a command like :bans to visualise all of the bans.

Yea I decided just to have a script and add the usernames to the script manually.

What, just a table?

Table??

Are you just filling the usernames in in a script?

EDIT: I’d recommend having that but also allow admins to do :ban [player] and that adds the player to a datastore.