In-Game Emotes Menu

I love the newest emotes! This is certainly a fun update!

2 Likes

Any chance weā€™ll see a topbar icon that actually matches the style? I see that thereā€™s a drop shadow now (which is in the right direction) but it just genuinely seems like thereā€™s no interest in any sort of consistency here.

Hereā€™s why itā€™s inconsistent:

• Sizing ā€“ The dimensions of the icon donā€™t seem to match up with the existing ones. The emote icon is significantly taller and thiner than the others. Hereā€™s a comparison:

• Border ā€“ The other icons are outlines, but the emote one is filled in. This leaves a pretty big difference in the appearance (& is probably the single biggest issue here). Hereā€™s the resulting difference:

• Shape ā€“ All of the other icons are have geometric shapes and angles. The emote icon, though, is wavy. Hereā€™s what the shapes look like for comparison, outlined in red:

It probably would not be that difficult to fix up an icon for this. This will be seen likely in a majority of games on the site, so its appearance shouldnā€™t be blown off as an afterthought.

Just for fun & to illustrate the differences here, I remade a couple of the other icons in the same style as the new one. And please, please donā€™t do this:

51 Likes

StarterPlayer.UserEmotesEnabled = false still shows the Emote Icon on the Top Bar

You shouldnā€™t need to do

StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.EmotesMenu, false)

__

Wouldnā€™t it be nicer to Enable Emotes for ONLY newly created games rather than forcing it on all games?

This is another example of new features being forced down our throats and breaking our games without any warnings.

At least give us a heads up next time. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Hi everyone :slight_smile:
I just noticed the emote menu icon in-game!

However, I think itā€™d be great to have a default shortcut instead of having to press the menu icon at the left-top of the screen.
Iā€™ve read the post and it was said itā€™s appointed to B but pressing that button doesnā€™t show up the menu for me.
I was wondering if it could be the ~ button by default instead? Itā€™s easy to reach when using WASD for walking and doesnā€™t have any binds at the moment if Iā€™m correct.
Obviously it should remain changable but for games who donā€™t have it readied up yet, it might be good to have a default keybind.

I think itā€™s a neat feature and Iā€™m excited what itā€™ll bring in the future! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That button is already assign to the Backpack

1 Like

Whoopsā€¦ Guess I overlooked that one :sweat_smile:
Backpack would make more sense around the E ā€¦ Either way, a button closer to the movement would be nice for emotes.

Edit: Or the Emote shortcut could be bound to E since emotes begins with that letter and leave the backpack as is. Would make more sense. :smiley:

Lets just hope they donā€™t remove /e commands.

I think this is a pretty cool feature though and donā€™t see anything wrong with it yet.

1 Like

We will revisit the text being shown here or not show the Emotes menu. Thanks for bringing it up.

This is intentional as it allows developers to use the Emotes feature but disable loading a users Emotes from the website.

We made a mistake in not giving developers notice initially when trying to release this feature but since then we have given a month of notice where the APIs to disable the feature have been available. Emotes could have been disabled during this time if you anticipated that it may cause issues in your game.

We needed to remove the default keybind as this was disruptive to existing games.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! :smiley:

That means that developers should be responsible for the shortcut, right? Since otherwise it may disturb gameplay because of multiple actions bound to 1 key.

1 Like

This is interesting, going to have to play around with it and see what things are possible.

I hope there will be new emotes soon!

This is a really cool idea, canā€™t wait to see all the new emotes thatā€™ll come from this update.

That feels strangely unintuitive. Is there any existing documentation for this and how to add emotes to the wheel?

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s unintuitive. Disabling loading a users emotes is not the same as disabling the Emotes Menu. If this was treated as the same in the APIs then it would make the feature less powerful, developers wouldnā€™t be able to use the Emotes Menu feature while disabling loading a users emotes from the website.

This is outlined in the OP of this thread along with details of how to add to or modify the emotes for a player in your game. We also have a DevHub article about the Emotes feature coming soon.

1 Like

Hi! I get this when I try to use the emotes in my game

But, I donā€™t call the API to disable it anywhere, and do call the API to enable it on the client
(game:GetService(ā€œStarterGuiā€):SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.EmotesMenu, true))
any idea what is up?

Again, causes lots of problems with developers who already have E as their keybinds.

You can just bind some user input event then like use the Emote API to toggle it on/off instead, this is what weā€™re going for, not more trouble and controversy like before.

1 Like

It would be neat if we could press the number that corresponds to an emote in the menu to play it, instead of having to click it every single time.

1 Like

Highly doubt theyā€™re gonna do this without a setting that defaults to off. Too many games use the number keys for inputs (plus the core backpack itself).

I have an idea.

Maybe developers can create their own animations and equip them into every players equipped emotes wheel?

Not important ATM but I think this is a cool feature that would help a lot of developers add emotes to their games!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

If we have forked the default Animate script, what do we need to add to get the Emotes to display in the Topbar? Iā€™m having a tough time finding exactly what my version is missing, and I can only get the Topbar button when I let the default Animate script load.

3 Likes