In-Game Emotes Menu

While I do feel like this was rushed and could be implemented better with just a few tweaks as you mentioned, I also feel like instead of hurting developers this actually helps a majority them. While a select few developers have spent a lot of time developing custom animations and such for their game in order to sell, I also feel like this could be an easy way for newer developers to setup a shop and earn 10% commission off the animation sales with hardly any work needing to be done on their end.

7 Likes

Yes, that is not a good thing. I have been playing a lot of games and have seen the button blocking of the custom UIs. Let’s hope they do fix it.

I feel like there has been a major over-reaction from the developer community.

First, to dispute the argument of It removes monetization potential, if your monetization is actually impacted by this, that means that you are just feeding off of user ignorance, as emotes have always been a feature.

Secondly, this feature is not useless. This feature is to help make users more aware of the ability of emoting in game. I dont know about you but the way I discovered the /e commands was by asking “omg how are you dancing?” In chat. With this update, it makes emotes easily accessible and makes them a more obvious feature to the game.

There is no reason that this should realistically hurt anyones games.

10 Likes

Thank you for your explanation on this, and thanks for giving your opinion. This had changed my opinion on the matter slightly, because now I realized that the emotes are actually free, which means that it doesn’t do any harm to the developer. The only real problem that I have though with this is the reaction from the community when they cannot use their favorite emotes in game, because it is paywalled by in game currency, or robux, especially if the emote itself costs robux.

3 Likes

Summary

In general I can describe this feature in a single, simple way: bad for Roblox.

For one, forcing it enabled on all games automatically and forcing developers to manually turn it off will break a ridiculous amount of games with inactive developers. The emote menu is intrusive as well, as it takes up the ‘B’ keybind which is used very often in many games.

On top of that, this emote throws Roblox’s aesthetic (if it even has one anymore, as recent updates have seemed to care less and less about Roblox’s simple, blocky style) right out the window once more. First off, the icon doesn’t fit in whatsoever with the other menu icons. The other icons are not filled in, simplistic, modern, and have a drop shadow. The emote menu icon lacks all of these qualities and looks more like a .PNG image that was slapped onto the top menu bar. The emotes themselves seem very out of place (to me at least) and would fit better in Fortnite, which brings me to my next point.

This entire menu is basically blatantly cashing in on the Fortnite dance trend, and is an obvious money grab on Roblox’s end. The menu itself is essentially a rip-off of the Fortnite emote menu, and also looks in no way similar to other Roblox core menus.

The emote menu is also bad for developers as stated by many before me. This takes away a monitization option for developers. Even if you disable it, players will be angry as they would want to use their purchased emotes in all games rather than buying separate ones for a single one. Many players would also be bothered by the menu anyway, so it doesn’t exactly entirely please the community.

Solutions?
In general, I would prefer this menu getting removed as it causes more bad than good in my eyes. However, it’s unlikely Roblox would want to remove all that work despite the fact that the final product is a complete disaster anyways. So if it isn’t getting removed, here are a couple proposed changes:

• Remove the ‘B’ keybind for it and replace it with something like =, or just not have it keybinded

• Make the menu look more original and more like other Roblox core menus

• Make the menu only automatically enabled on new places, not currently existing ones

• Make the icon fit in with the other core menu icons

• Just don’t take inspiration from Fortnite in the first place, please

• Make the enable/disable option something you can do in game settings rather than in a script

I feel it would be a lot better just to scrap the emote menu idea, but it’s really up to Roblox.

thanks for coming to my ted talk

35 Likes

For one, your point that “/e dance” does as much harm as this isn’t exactly very true. The reason nobody complained about /e dance was because it was free and not a catalog item. It was a simple chat command that was free and non-intrusive. Built in animation packs are different as they aren’t as easily accessible as this and do not require a script to disable (I believe, at least.)

11 Likes

If the menu icon is gonna be changed, it should follow the style of the avatar editor icons.

26 Likes

They can disable it. Also, how is it going to “hurt” developers?

1 Like

It will hurt developers because it takes away a possible monetization route, as well as breaks many games due to how its forced on. It uses a keybind that is frequently used in games and if a developer is inactive they can’t just disable it.

9 Likes

I’ve never seen an “emotes” gamepass other than “work at a pizza place”, Also I don’t think it would ruin a monetization route, It would just be an extension of emotes.

I agree about the keybind, The only solution I have is (if a game occupied the B button It would disable the emote completely to avoid any bugs.) or (if a game occupied the B button, You need to manually click the logo next to the backpack to activate it.)

2 Likes

It’s nice to see new features being added to Roblox allowing users to express themselves; however, there’s a couple of issues:

• This feature shouldn’t be enabled by default: It does not match the style of many games on the platform. Features such as this should be disabled by default, allowing the game developer to decide if they want this in their game.

• Games already provide this feature: Game developers who explicitly want such features in their game already provide such features as ways for users to express themselves in-game - and to gain revenue from their game via cosmetics.

20 Likes

The emote feature is a big move, however, if this is being enabled by default, it will break games that aren’t actively updated. For instance, there are games that have a custom button placed on the topbar. This means the emote button will be over the custom button the developer implemented. Also, I can see the player trying to glitch in certain games. For example, a single player story game. The developer may make the chat disabled, so they cannot perform any “/e” commands. However, they can use the emote slider, and then do random emotes while cutscenes play in a single player game.

Also, I can see why it’s enabled by default. Some players would be disappointed if they play their favorite game and bought an emote, and then they can’t use it. However, this is basically the same as gears. Using gears that you bought in a game isn’t enabled by default, but rather you have to enable them by yourself.

Also, are the emotes R15 only?

6 Likes

My first thought on this update is that it will hurt developers by removing them potential profit. It basically is a way for Roblox to make more profit while removing it from developers.

Though, I also think it is extremely good for the Roblox community as a whole because it is a feature that will largely improve the user experience.

What I’m saying is that as a developer, I’m seeing this as a potential loss of money for us but at the same time a win for the player experience which is actually good for Roblox.

Awesome update! I don’t really understand the criticism that it’s enabled by default. All you have to do to fix it is add one line of code in a local script and it’s fixed, yeah maybe they could’ve given a bit of a heads up so devs would be ready to have it disabled, but I don’t really think it’s that big of an issue as it is easily fixed.

1 Like

This is a bit of an unneeded update. I wish Roblox would focus on some things that could use improvement instead of making Roblox more like Fortnite.

12 Likes

Cool, but I don’t like the UI. The toggle button doesn’t fit, and neither does the radial menu.

It might also be helpful if the developers could customise the UI appearance so it fits their game (at the very least, colors and transparency).

4 Likes

Hey all,

I want to start by apologizing that this release comes as a surprise to you all. Hopefully this post (and the ~1 hour they were live earlier today) helps you prepare for the full release of emotes, coming soon.

As some have already pointed out in this thread, emotes are great for communication and expression, and allow users to do this quickly and free of any age or language restrictions that might come up when using chat. Roblox has allowed users to use 7 emotes (laugh, cheer, point, wave, dance, dance2, dance3) for years now. We wanted to expand on that system by making it easier to discover and providing a wider variety of actions, like the salute, stadium, and tilt emotes that became available today.

Our goal when releasing any big feature that affects users’ in-game experiences is, first and foremost, to not cause problems for you all. We built this feature to be as configurable for developers as possible while still being fair and fun for all users who want to use emotes. We are listening to your concerns and very much appreciate your feedback while we make a few tweaks to this feature before its full release.

42 Likes

I didn’t catch anything about R6. Will these new animations work for R6? If not, will they just do nothing if a user uses them?

2 Likes

I get why it was enabled by default, but doing it without warning feels careless to developers. Same with using B as a keybinding. I understand why, but that doesn’t make it feel less like a slap in the face.

If Roblox’s goal is to have content be user-driven, it should never force updates onto developers without warning, and it especially shouldn’t override keybindings. That’s a bad experience for everyone.

10 Likes

I think this is really cool, it allows players that don’t know how to use emotes to be able to have ease of access.

1 Like