In-Game Emotes Menu

What I dislike about this update is the lack of support for R6. I personally favor R6 over R15 or Rthro, and I hate that it’s being left behind in favor of more features for R15 & Rthro. If new emotes (which emotes have been around for years) are added, please include support for R6.

16 Likes

Oh my god… every game is slowly turning into Fortnite… :cry:

On a serious note though, I am partially against this feature since things like this can be plain annoying at times. Fortnite emotes aren’t a meme for no reason.

11 Likes

Haha, I know, right? I can agree. It isn’t as bad as it is made out to be though. But yes, kinda plain annoying.

6 Likes

This sounds like a great update. Something I would recommend is that we should eventually have the emotes system let us create our own emotes with either animations or an instance similar to the Tween instance from TweenService. It would let developers create emotes that are more tied towards the game aesthetics, and so we don’t need to create our own emotes system.

1 Like

While it’s a Surprise update, if you don’t like it we have been given ALL of the tools we need to Disable it from our game.

Not only that but how much revenue are you planing to make from these Emotes anyways, if you’re relying on selling Emotes as your main income stream then you are doing it wrong.

I think it’s a pretty good Update, but I guess there’s two sides to this Coin.

4 Likes

I always thought the emote feature was severely underused. I think this is a good change, but forcing it on all developers without at least warning them beforehand (basically every update but still) is in pretty poor taste.

Edit: Sidenote, can anyone tell me what the Tilt emote is supposed to be? I don’t get it. I feel like I missed some trend.

2 Likes

Poll:

• Like this update
  • Dislike this update
  • Don’t mind this update
  • It’s fine as is
  • Should be better for developer monetisation
  • Should not be a feature at all

0 voters

Pick one of the first three, then one of the final two

• Roblox should have given more notice.
  • The notice is fine.

0 voters

1 Like

Or maybe we could even repurpose the += button that used to be for dropping hats

5 Likes

Is there a way I could add a function for the custom emotes I can add to this, so lets say when my animation reaches a certain keyframe, I’d set the walkspeed to 0. Or maybe even play a sound. Is there a function or event that im missing out on?

1 Like

At first I was critical , to a degree I still am. im starting to accept it however since from what it is showing it is just an extension to the /e commands and more easy for new players to discover. I would prefer the emote guis were completely redone tho since they do seem pretty rushed and ugly. Otherwise it just seems like an extension to already existing animations.

2 Likes

How come StarterGui:GetCoreGuiEnabled("EmotesMenu") returns true when the menu is not even enabled?

This makes it impossible to account for the emote icon which could potentially be re-added again and disrupt the topbar:

Yesterday we had the problem of the emote icon overlapping our own custom icons, now today the emote icon doesn’t appear at all??

I’m all for this feature, but we need more transparency and warning from your end prior to these changes as many of us depend on a custom topbar.

21 Likes

Possibly this is what you are looking for;

Humanoid

AnimationController

AnimationTrack

5 Likes

I don’t know for sure what I think about this change, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world like most make it look like. I personally have zero income based on selling custom emotes in my game(s) so this doesn’t affect me too much. I actually believe it’ll help me instead, my game is a social game and now it’ll be easier than ever to use emotes, and that without even requiring my players to use a tool. Now I see some things lacking in the API, but it hasn’t be released yet, so I’ll give it a shot.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why people are so much against it, it brings fun to games, help new developers when they want to make an emotes to their game and I think there are yet a lot of benefits from this, I understand and respect opinions of someone can don’t like something in this update, I also don’t like one change from this, but if you are 100% against this update then you kinda mean that you don’t care about new and not-experienced developers and scripters. :grinning:

3 Likes

Will this menu be hidden if the game’s default avatar type is R6? If yes, what about mixed avatar types (ie. both R6 and R15 can be used in the game)?

5 Likes

I think it should be turned OFF in all places, but places that were created after this update should have turned it ON, that way, old places don’t break. (Of course the developer can manually set ON or OFF)

5 Likes

Yea it’s true, it isn’t a big deal anyway. I just think it’s a great feature that we don’t get profit from. But should we?

Imagine a platform where people all around the world make thousands of games with millions of players and suddenly, the platform creates a paid feature that is installed by default on all games that the developers won’t get a penny from. Of course it isn’t the same thing here… or is it? :face_with_monocle:

Just a thought though, I love the feature anyhow! :+1:

1 Like

Unless this is a stepping stone towards UGC, it’s rather pointless for developers. Roblox is about powering imagination, not emulating other trendy brands. There are two core communities here: the content creators and the content users. If there’s only one source, then this update is just pandering to the latter.

7 Likes

Custom icons in the topbar are not officially supported. It is not guaranteed that Roblox UI changes won’t clash with trying to put custom icons under the topbar. I would recommend using a white list for what CoreGui types you want enabled in your game if you want to do this though.

The API returns the state as set by the developer even if the UI is disabled by Roblox flags, when the Emotes Menu UI is released this will reflect the state in the topbar as expected.

9 Likes

I’m a bit against that since Roblox released a script when hat dropping was removed which would continue supporting it indefinitely. Using this button would clash with that script.

2 Likes