In Game Item has a Newly Censored Word

The words “UwU” and “OwO” are now censored. I’m not sure what that means for me. Do I need to change these assets? Would I need to change their names as well as player data that have the mask “UwU” or “OwO”? Could I leave them just fine with the assumption that the censoring is a mistake? I’m not sure, but I’d like to know more about what to do in this situation since the only thing I can think of is just changing the name, model, and force altering data, but the problem is that players who bought the mask would feel scammed.

8 Likes

Since they’re censored by Roblox, I guess that they’ll be able moderated whenever they’re just a message or an asset. I suggest you change them to something else or simply remove the asset and refund it to the players.

1 Like

As I’ve searched it up, it’s a face expression As you can see by my posts above, since UwU is a happy face, that’s seems fine, not expressing anything bad. OwO is a “cute” face, nothing wrong with that. What are the UwU and OwO locks used for though?

3 Likes

I think that as long as you’re using them is a not-malicious way you’re good. Numbers and first/last names get filtered by Roblox all the time, but that doesn’t mean that you cant use those in your game!

… Anyway, just to prove a point I uploaded both as decals and they both got approved.

Again, if you’re using either of these two emoticons in an appropriate way it’s probably fine.

2 Likes

Thank you I haven’t thought about that, I was thinking more like staff for roblox would see the assets as a bad thing whereas the reality is just that it would’ve been content deleted by now. Thanks again c:

What do you mean by “locks”? The masks or filtered words?

Sorry, typo, meant to say what are they used for, do they have a purpose, or is it just a decor?

It is a cosmetic item, not used for any non TOS friendly stuff I don’t think.

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong with the face. Not trying to diss roblox, ill support them with whatever they do as long as its a actual needed feature.
But personally I would replace them with something else. Maybe roblox faces? Unless someone says otherwise that you can use them.

Important Update

Roblox has contacted me to remove the OwO (assuming they also mean UwU) masks so if these things apply to you, please take care.

5 Likes

I wonder as to why these faces are censored to begin with? I am aware they are censored and not allowed on ROBLOX’s platform, but I just find it strange since it looks like an seemingly harmless emoticon. :cat:

I think it has to do with definitions.
Searching anything with finding the meaning of OwO and youd find yourself with definitions that aren’t really appropriate to children.

6 Likes

Ok, This basically not fair because is an emoticon face, In my opinion, The “OwO” Or “UwU” faces is not really assuming, And appropriate face to roleplaying on a chat, This like an anime faces thingly that people do enjoy for reason, So emoticon face is not an inappropriate content for the Roblox community.

Even with KonekoKitten, I guess using emoticon faces as will with YouTubers. :pensive:

I just thought I’d chip in on this topic, although, perhaps its a little off topic?.. I’m not really sure. This is just a little opinion about this, I suppose unfortunately its no help anymore since the OP was contacted and asked to remove the content.

Pretty much all android players will likely see “OwO” and “UwU” on the builtin keyboard. GBoard, which is generally the default keyboard on any standard android device within the past… Five years or so perhaps? Is quite literally, two taps away from these emotes…

I don’t see a point in these being censored, it seems rather… Strange to say the least, when a majority of the players this is supposed to “shield” (for lack of a better term) probably literally see it in their built in keyboard. I think censoring it at that level would really only have the opposite effect as intended since, for one, players who use the text emotes from GBoard will not be able to use them, and will suddenly wonder why, and secondly, the emotes are right there in front of them anyway so its just detrimental to people who use them genuinely.

3 Likes

Yeah, I still don’t get it about remove emotes content like. It not that big a deal but ok, Lol.

I’d like to mention that these (this and this) are allowed however. So maybe having less direct references to UwU OwO is fine, such as drawing the w to be like a cat mouth W fusion? Since I replaced the UwU and OwO with >.< and o.o, I may have been able to make do with less text looking design on the mask.

Its because of over usage, you know how certain servers don’t like ALL CAPS or over used emoji’s.