In response to the 'oof' sound discussion

Well time to say my one last oof. There we go feel so much better now.:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Very cool Roblox for responding to drama :smiley:

2 Likes

If he sued Roblox, then oh yeah, Tommy T. would earn a lot of money. He didn’t want alot of money, he just wanted some for copyright.

2 Likes

If Tommy Tallarico does have the right to his sound “OOF”, he has the right to have it taken down. We shouldn’t be causing problems. I know it’s hard for people to move on, but new sounds are made 24/7, so if ROBLOX does replace it by Tommy’s request, it’ll be possible. I’m sure ROBLOX can try to negotiate with Tommy to drop it, but have his sound removed from ROBLOX.

1 Like

He doesn’t have the right to a sound he didn’t make, simple as that

3 Likes

A while ago he did a live stream where he tried clarifying some things up.

All I was able to remember was that he was asking for an amount of money and Roblox offered 100x less then what he originally asked for. He didn’t disclose the amount he wanted from Roblox but he did mention it shouldn’t be much for a billion dollar company.

You can take 2 sides on this,

1. He was asking for 100x a reasonable amount
  2. He was asking for a reasonable amount and was lowballed
3 Likes

I absolutely agree with this. Right now, I think that ROBLOX is trying to prolong this to keep the oof sound. ROBLOX is being extremely stubborn, just pay Tommy for copyright and move on with your life. There is no reason why ROBLOX cannot pay for it, it is a multi-billionare company.

5 Likes

Havent read the over 300 replies but they did state at the start of this post where they got the audio from and that this tommy guy hadn’t shown any proof of creating it right?

4 Likes

I’d like to note here that net worth is not always equivalent to how much you can spend.

7 Likes

Are there any updates to this situation? Tommy hasn’t tweeted about Roblox or the ‘oof’ sound in over a month (though his bio retains the text Creator of "Oof!"). Roblox hasn’t directly stated that the ‘oof’ sound will be replaced or removed (as has been pointed out before) but there’s also no confirmation that a court case is going to happen or has started happening. Maybe they are resolving or will resolve this out-of-court.

4 Likes

I dunno I think it’s good! Maybe it will turn out better!

1 Like

Maybe Tommy just realized that his “evidence” would probably be inadequate in court, or the fact that legal matters shouldn’t be discussed over social media.

11 Likes

Thank you for putting effort into a response but Tommy has clearly made the better argument with his name literally in the game files.

1 Like

In regards to the redundancy of the term “Copyright Free”:

Even if something says a made work is “Copyright Free,” it is better to have something licensed to you, especially for such a large corporation as ROBLOX. I don’t want to make false accusations, but if something is merely a CD:ROM it still would or may be copyright protected, even if it says “Copyright free.” It is better to get explicit permission by the owner of a work, because you may find yourself getting sued over something you never know is yours or not. Regardless, just because something is not licensed does not mean it’s free to use, and the term “Copyright free” many times can be redundant, as there are things that can be made and protected by US copyright laws, even without licensing.

1 Like

I mean, most cases seem to be resolved out-of-court. If the case were to make it to court, it may benefit one side or the other, so by doing it out of court it would have a resolve that is mutually beneficial.

Well, since he tweeted it and made a lot of drama about it, a nondisclosure agreement is definitely no longer possible. That means that if there were a resolve, it wouldn’t be a straightforward resolve and a rocky road of discussing an agreement where ROBLOX will have limited choices of what they will receive in return to what they will give. So, although this is speculation, I think it may be possible that there may be one soon, or there might have been one in the past and we didn’t know, hence the “deal” with the author.

Anyways, we have to understand that if ROBLOX is saying that the sound is licensed to them, and what they said is true, then there is no way the maker of the sound can take it to court as he licensed it to the ROBLOX Corporation.

2 Likes

Then instantly destroyed that when he took things to twitter, possibly forged legal documents, and then started advertising his own stuff after the fact.

In my opinion, hes lost his credibility. The name was also someone entirely different if I remember correctly, not Tommy.

The cutscene the sound is from is apparently pre rendered, meaning it’s very hard to isolate the “Oof” from the background audio. So wherever Roblox got it from, be it a CD-ROM or a website, they didnt rip it from the game itself, nor did they steal it.

Tommy should go after the seller of said CD, but hey, that wouldnt give him clout. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Going to youtube and playing the “oof” sound from Roblox brings back so many memorys!

1 Like

The ‘oof’ sound has been so iconic, when you hear it then you know exactly where it comes from. When I first seen Roblox was looking for an updated ‘oof’, I was kinda surprised because that’s been something everybody knew, and they don’t even have to play Roblox to know it came from here. It’s been a sound I’ve heard since I was like 12 and brings back my earliest memories from first playing Roblox :cry:

2 Likes

Same, I remember the old huge cursor with green dot.

2 Likes

I remember that too! I used it to make my way through invisible paths on obbies

1 Like