In response to the 'oof' sound discussion

For an ongoing court case I would presume they can’t release a lot of information.

9 Likes

Thank you guys so much like I was really worried about the OOF sound?? But glad it gonna stay here on Roblox culture cause its been in the game since beginning… Keep up the good work Roblox!

8 Likes

I agree, Roblox needs to fix this problem. Hopefully as they move into this era of emphasis on UGC things (including clothing, like they said in the OP) they will fix the issue of clothing botting, and will perhaps set up some kind of system that automatically detects and disapproves re-uploads.

7 Likes

In a way it isn’t exactly derailing, I think, as they mention how they are moving into this era of UGC emphasis in a good part of the OP, and the topic of the “oof” sound and its replacement leads us to things like UGC sounds. I suppose it is up for interpretation and debate, however.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update ROBLOX! Hoping for the best. (:

9 Likes

The problem is that Tommy actually did record it and his name is in the metadata of the sound itself. Unfortunately, Roblox got it from a third party source, which may not have gotten it legally. Tommy says that he’s given the opportunity to Roblox to actually buy the license directly from him, but they’ve refused because in they’re perspective, they already have the license they need.

Essentially - it’s a very complicated case of a content creator’s work being passed into different hands and things getting complicated from that point.

16 Likes

Good! Now everything is really Clear.
I hope everything goes Ok!!

6 Likes

Tommy says it can stay as long as he gets compensation for them taking it without contacting him.

So either way - the sound may very well stay.

Now, Roblox has recently been changing their entire platform, so it also may be replaced as a part of that separate project - unrelated to this controversy, but it’s too early to say now.

10 Likes

I don’t think they’re interested in taking this route of action as he’s a talented individual, they aren’t interested in suing him - more the fact of getting him on the platform I gathered by the mention in the OP.

7 Likes

The guy’s name is in the metadata, and the verified twitter account is talking about it, so I’m definitely sure it’s his. Though he should provide some more proof though.

13 Likes

Does this mean the “oof” sound is staying or being removed?

8 Likes

Why all of this drama when you could’ve bought the copyright to the sound in the first place?

12 Likes

Thanks for informing us players roblox :smiley:

7 Likes

Glad you guys clarified on what the situation is about. I myself was very worried and concerned about this situation but I’m just glad you clarified it! Wishing the best to David and everyone in the ROBLOX team! I’m still questioning if the OOF sound will be removed or not. Does anyone know?

6 Likes

They don’t own the copyright to it.

6 Likes

Tommy Tallarico has said that they can keep it, as long as he’s compensated for them taking it without his knowledge.

So it will most likely stay either way.

Unless it doesn’t - because Roblox has recently been making a complete overhaul of their core systems (as you may have seen by their updated UI and website) and that opens the potential for the death sound to be replaced.

7 Likes

I think that’s a bad way to present your case if you’re trying to get anything in return for “your sound”.

8 Likes

His name is legit on the metadata. Not to go on Roblox but this post just lacks logic. Unless I’m missing something then please correct me but from what I’m seeing it just doesn’t seem right.

9 Likes

I think think roblox is saying they want to work with him so they want to ‘clear everything up.’ But I’m not too sure. By this time I just think roblox should role with it. Either buy it or get a new sound.

7 Likes

Great response, glad to see you guys making a statement

5 Likes