In what ways, as a GFX artist improve my GFX's

Hello!
First of all, those GFX’s are amazing for a few months of work. :smile:

I have some tips and tricks/feedback for you!

• I highly suggest using rigs or bones. Most rigs and bones are free and are very simple to use depending on the program you’re using. Using rigs or bones really help with posing the subject and make it look natural. To me, posing really makes the artwork feel alive and gives the subject character. It’s what tells a story in a work of art, so improving it to make it seem more natural would improve a lot.

• Improving on the background would also help a lot as well. Backgrounds could also tell stories and play a huge part in artworks, so picking the right one for your subject/render would help.

• Lighting plays a big role in artworks as well. Typically, I choose to draw on my own highlights and shadows instead of using lights within the rendering software. It allows me to better match the subject within the background and the surrounding area. Matching the subject with the background could easily be achieved using a hue/saturation layer or exposure layers. Highlights and shadows could also be achieved using exposure layers and a hue/saturation layer that matches the color of any background lights or any sources emitting light.

• For text, you want to find at least 2 good fonts that fit together. I think you did that quite well in your pieces. However, I think the positioning for the text should be changed. Moving them towards the bottom would be a good choice, as it’s not blocking her face or any accessories she has on, and it’s not blocking much except for her legs.

• Adding some effects to your artwork could add more depth to the final piece. A vignette is common but very simple and adds a nice effect. Some other effects could be added in, such as snow or rain, depending on your background. Particles, extra lights, fog/smoke, and other effects could also help improve. It is very easy and common to overload your artwork with effects; however, if you plan to add effects, try to go light, or else the artwork looks full, and your eyes won’t know where to focus.

• I also very much agree with @xleavh; studying and recreating multiple works from favorite graphic designers is a great way for practice and improvement. I’ve done so myself for the past 4 years creating GFX, and it really does help. I normally pick out the small tricks they use in their artwork and combine them to create an interesting and unique style.

Those are some of the tips and tricks I suggest using! I think overall, your artworks aren’t bad, but there definitely is room for improvement.

I wish you the best of luck in the future for graphic design! :smile::+1:

I suggest paint.net. It’s a pretty good program and is like a free version of Photoshop. (With a bit fewer features.) There also is a student plan for Photoshop, $20 for every Adobe app. If you still can’t afford that, then paint.net is a simple and easy program to use. Some editing websites are basically free versions of Photoshop but on a website, such as Photopea.

5 Likes

This is somewhat old though I can’t help but feel bad as I feel like I’m not doing well myself as a GFX artist, so here’s a few things I recommend:

Using Pixlr/Photpea and fonts form DaFont and FontSpaces’ 100% free option. (Both completely free, and fonts may or may not require credit but don’t need any permissions for commercial use, be sure to read the License info though.)

For image backgrounds try using Pexels as it’s an amazing website for free images!

Try using rigs for your renders so the positioning can be better and easier to manage. (RobloxRig_V4 and woman rig - Copy - Copy (2) - Copy)

I hope this helps you, you’re not doing too bad currently, but for the first picture I’d fix the text overlaying on the star, I truly wish you the best of luck!

If you use blender, I recommend using rigs to get more creative with posing.

hello!
your gfx’s look really good! However, I can give you a few tips on how to improve them :))

• try more poses and camera angels
  • you could experiment with different overlays while editing it!
  • also, try using more filters on your gfx’s!

hope this helps! :heart:

1 Like

Hello, try using R15 body’s and try to make the poses more appealing and not all so close to eatchother it makes it unreal and isn’t really a pose. The editing is pretty good.

R15 rigs are harder to use than R6 rigs, and usually end up looking terrible unless you’re a professional. So - no.

1 Like

I would recommend watching speed art videos on YouTube. Find one and put it to a slower speed and then watch it. I found it really helpful when I was starting GFX. Additionally, join GFX communities, one community that I would really recommend is Robloxs Graphics Community. They are helpful and have helped me a lot.

1 Like

Do you even know that R15 is easier? R6 is harder because you have to know that dislocation of the R6 limbs are hard to know if the dislocation is correct or not.