In what ways, as a GFX artist improve my GFX's

Hello,
I have been working on GFX’s for about 3-4 months now and I can strongly say that I feel like I am not improving anymore. I have tried to change several things within my gfx’s but they either don’t work with my theme, I am displeased with the outcome, or make the render look awkward.
In the past when I have done GFX work I charged around 10-25 Robux, however, I would like to feel comfortable raising the prices of my GFX’s in the future.
So, GFX’s artists (or artists in general), what are some of your suggestions on how I can improve my GFX work. (Please try to keep things that cost money to a minimum as I am currently not able to obtain money by myself)

EXAMPLES: supernova-2 bir

22 Likes

Try posing more using R15 rigs, then learn some tools you can use for your picture editor softwares.

5 Likes

To improve your GFX skills, I recommend using different kinds of techniques of rendering it. If you did one technique, try another way. You can also try different styles, such as bright, dark, holiday, chilly, etc.

4 Likes

Try making some clothing Renders, Thats what i did before i switched to Bundle Renders.

4 Likes

While I’m no artist there are many ways to improve the quality of your designs, have you considered experimenting with technique including effects - lighting - background and more.

What specific software or program you produce your designs in common choices (Blender, Cinema 4D, etc. I would strive into getting into learning 3D software to add more quality and lighting features while It does have a bit of a learning curve. If you continue to practice and strive into learning new things you will see yourself improving overtime.

Use some HDRI in your designs to have a rather quality design have you tried experimenting with different effects skys lighting systems? There is so much that could be done; I would consider looking at many guides and resources on ways to learn new things when it comes to creating variety of types of graphic designs.

7 Likes

Looks great, although there is still a concern that I want to address. The pose is too stiff. Bending the rig’s limbs adds more realism to your GFX.

4 Likes

Lighting. It is very important to have a very nice lighting setup. It can make the difference between a bad and good GFX.

1 Like

One thing I notice is that the lighting and colors are too plain. If we look at the character, it just looks like the lighting around it is only gray. What would help is adding a couple of colorful area/sun lights behind the character to give it some rim lighting which would make it stand out more and give it more color. One good technique is 3-point lighting. Here is a tutorial for it: Three Point Lighting - Blender 2.80 Fundamentals - YouTube
Another thing I would like to talk about is the pose. It just doesn’t look fitting when the limbs are just straight. They don’t really show the mood of the gfx. It’s not easy to come up with a good pose right away, but you will get the perfect one after a couple of tries. Here is a really good guide for posing.
Enwxe1OXUAMy7uT

12 Likes

You need to work on your lighting its very simple lighting, the render is very simple also its not very edited from what I can see it just looks like a plain render which has just had simple lighting put into it and finished you need to work on them more and improve on lighting skills.

4 Likes

Use less (basic) character’s.

It will help make it look more realistic.

What do you use for this?

Hello!
I work within the Roblox athletics community, which consists of ‘dancelike’ and cheerleading concepts.
Most of my GFX’s are used within me and my friends personal groups, but im hoping to sell them either within my community.

Hi, I give free GFX lessons if you would like to use it, I help player’s with making better GFX’s, I do live streaming for those who need help with this stuff! Here is my discord tag.

V̸e̵n̸e̸m̸o̶u̶s̷e̷M̴a̵u̸l̸#8264

Free effect’s will be given in my lessons.

I will be creating a discord server shortly.

Poses and lightining!

Here, an example of a better lightining I made:

scoop'd

Use lightromms, it looks really plain!

4 Likes

The poses also look too plain, take your time, maybe use a rig, if you just move the limbs a bit, it won’t look really good, move the arms, the elbows, hands, etc to make it more like alive.

Also, you can download Photoshop or any better editing program to make better shadings, fonts, etc!

I agree with you. When you finish your final render, you shouldn’t just say “oh this looks good enough, time to post it”. You should add other effects, text, etc.

1 Like

Hey! First off, always remember that practice makes perfect. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been doing GFX for and how disappointed you are with your finished product. Keep branching out and try out new styles. I’ve been doing graphics since April 2019 and to this day, I don’t have a fixed style. I like to experiment and try out new things which I heavily suggest doing as well. Now, I recommend you to use a rig as you would have much more control on poses and would make your renders look way more realistic. Also work on lighting, examples to do that could be by making lightrooms, photomanipulation etc. You can find tons of resources online to help you with this.

Another thing that helps me a lot is studying and recreating multiple works made by my favorite graphics designers, which is of course is solely done only for practice and wouldn’t be posted anywhere. This helps me learn tricks and gives me new ideas to implement into my own work! Good luck! :wink:

Hey! Im unable to download photoshop as I am a pretty broke student. Does anyone have any cheap or (preferably free) alternatives to photoshop.

I currently just use some free photo editors and roblox studio to try and edit my gfx’s but that does not work very well from my experience.

(anyone can anwser, I just replied to this reply)

2 Likes

Your characters look really 3D, they also don’t have any background nor lighting.

I’d suggest R15 rigs. And possibly more decoration and shading! If you use blender, I’d recommend putting the light in the corner near the character, to make shadows. Also, for more of an aesthetic look to the GFX, maybe colour the light to a more cosy look (if you get what I’m saying).