Inaccurate shadows when the shadow is cast onto a non-CastShadow object

This bug affects both Future and ShadowMap lighting technologies.

I was recently optimising my games by disabling CastShadow on the floor parts of my game however I noticed that the shadows became inaccurate upon doing so:

Floor (Red) has CastShadow enabled:

Floor (Red) has CastShadow disabled:

Expected behaviour:

I expect the shadows when CastShadow is disabled on the part it’s being cast onto to be the same as when CastShadow is enabled.

Actual behaviour:

Shadows get extremely thin (to a point in where they aren’t visible), where the parts (casting the shadow) are near the part that has CastShadow disabled.

I would like to see this fixed soon as I am unable to to disable CastShadow on any of my floor tiles until this is fixed. (which hinders performance)

3 Likes

Hello! Can you please attach a repro place and list active Beta features and any potentially related Plugins? Haven’t been able to reproduce the issue. Thanks!

I have no beta features enabled / plugins that could be affecting this. As seen in the following place, the pole has the buggy shadows as the baseplate has CastShadows disabled… Repro.rbxl (28.8 KB)

this is by design, so you shouldn’t disable cast shadows for things that should receive shadows

2 Likes

Shouldn’t CastShadow when disabled just not cast a shadow, but be able to have shadows casted onto it? Whichever way, the shadows shouldn’t be buggy, either normal shadows or no shadows?

this is the limitation of the method used. its a tradeoff so we could have better shadows/performance

5 Likes

This limitation of the engine makes the CastShadow property only useful on instances that you know will never get a shadow cast onto it (player characters also cast shadows, so that makes any place a player can get to not viable for non-CastShadow instances). It also holds back any developers who want to make a part that has no shadows since there is no way to do so (without having inaccurate shadows).

Maybe some setting could be made that enables a fix to this, with the performance decrease + worse shadows (that you mentioned would happen).

And as stated in the OP casting shadows on that part, causes inaccurate shadows.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.