"Inappropriate place name or description" does not highlight the inappropriate text within an experience description

Reproduction Steps
Google Chrome

1. Type up a game description with text, save, it should work.
  2. Add inappropriate text. The page will now tell you “Inappropriate place name or description”
  3. Depending on the severity of certain words it will be easy to tell what text is inappropriate, however, in some cases, this leaves developers at a standstill guessing game as to what is the offending word.

Expected Behavior
Developer expectations would be the offended word or words will be highlighted, separately from spell check, specifically to tell the developer this is the offending word needing fixing before updating the description.

Actual Behavior
Developers are left with nothing to work with, bar from erasing the entire game description and pasting in word for word. Thus, effectively breaking the entire game description from being able to be updated. Hence, why this is a bug report.

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: https://www.roblox.com/places/(your_place_id_here)/update
Impact: High
Frequency: Sometimes

19 Likes

I believe this is intentional.

Uh isn’t this already a feature request?

This problem is really annoying to me. Especially with the descriptions…

3 Likes

I explained my reasoning for making a bug report. I used the lookup function with similar words and could not find anything similar within a reasonable amount of time, and therefore created this thread.

1 Like

I don’t believe this was a bug I think they just never got around to adding it. I think it would be helpful though. That way I don’t have to keep deleting things and readding them to brute force the culprit that’s tagging my stuff.

3 Likes

This sounds more like a missing feature rather than a bug to me, especially because there would likely be some design/product work involved with this as opposed to just patching up a broken functionality.

2 Likes

I got you since I remember this issue. Here’s a feature request you created a year ago on this topic:

3 Likes

Like everything Roblox does, it is a half-baked implementation. I fully understand the need to moderate content on the platform, however when it comes to Roblox the reasons are left too vague. Some descriptions are clear cut while others leave developers scratching our heads. This isn’t limited to an experience description, rather the whole platform together. If anyone has made a mesh in blender that is comprised of many smaller meshes and bulk imported into Roblox, the names always get flagged as inapparent for stuff such as “Mesh1.003” for being an “Inappropriate name”. It would be useful to know the exact reason stuff gets moderated, such as the probable reason for the mesh name being moderated. An example of this could be “The content name got moderated due to numbers in the name being used for uplodes of bulk content rapidly form the same account.”

3 Likes

I just tried to change part of our game description and hit this.

No problem saving:
Use code “700LIKES” for 100 Free Shards! Next code at 800 likes!

But this gets hit with the “inappropriate” text…
Use code “800LIKES” for 100 Free Shards! Next code at 900 likes!

It’s a bit baffling to say the least.

1 Like

Intended behavior. Very frustrating intended behavior I also wish was changed to highlight the text, but intended behavior either way. It’s been like this for a long time.

This bug also annoys me, when I put an emoji, a link (or a devforum link), or even my username it just says “Inappropriate place name or description.”, some games like Retail Tycoon 2 have a changelog link which is a Roblox devforum link

also, why has Roblox haven’t updated their Create Page???

1 Like

It seems like a feature request exists for this issue: "Inappropriate place name or description" is extremely vague and unhelpful

Will close out this thread for now since it is not currently intended functionality that it would show you the questionable parts of the content according to the text filter. Please contribute to the feature request above if you would like to see this implemented!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 37 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.