Incorporating Building Functionality and Design into Gameplay

So in my game (idea) players are meant to enter buildings in search of items or shelter (Most of the map is city-like). In basically every survival-exploration game I know of (not many, but still) that has players loot buildings players just go through the front door and every room is usually unlocked.
And they just run throughout the building grabbing everything they can.

Now this I consider a very good and usable idea. It’s straightforward, players don’t have to be bothered with the realities of breaking into a building, and then they can run off and enjoy the rest of the game (usually it’s shooting other things).
But I mentioned before that I want players to use buildings as shelters–places to hide or use as bases. Because in my game there are monsters (not necessarily “monsters”, but just think bad guys that you don’t want touching you). These monsters can appear inside buildings and in groups and it’s highly recommended you don’t lose a fight against them, and since that is the case I want the shelters players decide to use to be much more included in the gameplay (because in my game (idea) players are forced to remain in an area for some time so it’d be more beneficial to use a base than run around constantly).
So I’ve thought of some ideas-mechanics that might influence how I design buildings and I want feedback on whether they’d be beneficial to gameplay or not (regarding running from, hiding from, sneaking around monsters and whether such ideas would be boring, annoying, or appreciated).

• Locked Doors
    Very simple and self-explanatory. Not every door, but many doors will be locked and the building or room cannot be accessed without a key, lockpick, or destroying the door. Breaking down doors will attract nearby monsters (if any are nearby) and broken doors cannot be re-used. Locked doors will keep out monsters (and players) until broken down (by players or monsters) or unlocked. By locking every room in a building players can have multiple layers of defense in their building-shelter.
    Do you consider risking being attacked as interesting? Would you destroy doors by default or would you find safer methods in? How many locked doors until you get annoyed?

• Traversable Ventilation
    Some buildings will have large air ducts (? Is that the right description?) that players can fit in and traverse through. This allows players to enter and exit buildings without breaking down doors (or if the door is blocked by monsters). Additionally using air ducts lets players see into rooms before entering them (in case there is a monster inside) and avoid some rooms, or just function as a secondary way of reaching a room.
    Do you think this would be interesting or fun? Or would it be unneeded since it’s a longer way of getting to the same place, though this would depend on the rest of the game’s risks?

• Working Lights
    Just basic lights that turn on and off with the flick of a switch. These would improve visibility at night (obviously), and I have no plans to make lights attract monsters so lights are just a helpful feature. However lights only work if the building or area has power and are recommended if anything goes wrong at night.
    Since this is such a small thing, my concern is whether it’d even be fun to have to deal with struggling to see. I can easily just make slightly harder to see in the dark, but definitely still playable. What are your thoughts, I don’t intend to make it absolutely impossible to see and I want light sources to be easily attainable, but working lights are meant to be a permanent source of light over a large area that allows players to play with less hinderance?
    (Please consider a Working Water alternative.)

• Power Implications
    With the idea of a building needing to have power for its lights to work, this brings up the idea that maybe other things can be incorporated into this “power required” mechanic. Such as air-conditioning (if I plan to implement temperature as a mechanic) or refrigeration (I do plan to have food and water somewhat affect gameplay, but I doubt I’d have food-spoilage as a thing, but nonetheless it’s something that can be connected to power). There can be elevators or garage doors.
    Or, on a more interesting side, I can have electrically powered items like radios or lights that need to be recharged, and can be recharged inside buildings that have power.

• Opening Windows
    Basically windows can be opened and closed. It’s a very simple idea and players can use windows like they do doors–an alternative entrance or exit. The only advantage I can think of for being able to close a window is for the 1st floor of a building where it’s much easier for monsters to enter and you’d want to get out without letting them in. On a higher floor windows might just be for escapes.
    Personally I don’t think this is needed because windows can already be shattered and if you don’t want windows to let things in then just don’t break them (or you can board them up because that’s possible).

• Destructible Walls
    Not every wall, but some walls will show that they can be destroyed. Though this would make the building or room less usable as a shelter, it allows players to create new entry and exit options. This feature can also allow for hidden pathways.

• All Enterable Buildings
    What I mean is: every single building a player sees can be entered and used as a shelter. No prop-buildings with fake doors and fake windows just to give the illusion of a building. Ideally I’d do this because it allows a lot of content to be placed in a compact area. But obviously this comes with a lot more work for development and for players (to navigate through and loot). And then there’s balancing the number of items and monsters per building throughout a map and whether players’ hardware can handle the number of everything (I’m no rendering expert).
    Additionally should every room of building be a usable space, or can some rooms be fake and inaccessible?
    Would it even be fun to repeatedly enter, loot, and exit buildings back to back to back for the same usual rewards? Would having fake buildings limit players too much in the places that can be used (assume 50-50 for real and prop buildings)?

• Decorated Interiors
    So should the interior of buildings have things like chairs, desks, other furniture, a kitchen counter, picture-frames on walls, trashcans, etc? Or should they be empty (or nearly empty with the bare essentials for gameplay) since most players don’t care how detailed a room is and the decoration doesn’t directly affect gameplay?
    How much decoration in a room would you notice and appreciate? If you walked into a hospital and there was a trashcan or potted plant in the corner of the waiting room would you care? If you walked into a house and there was a computer sitting on a desk would you care? Or can I get away with a bunch of chairs in the waiting room and an empty desk (without a chair) in the house?

• Interactable Furniture-Objects
    Chairs you can sit on, beds you can lie in, cabinets that visually open, toilets that flush. These will have no real impact on gameplay and are for the feel only. My question is whether this is something that would make the game more enjoyable or would hardly even be noticed.

1 Like