Incorrect textures upon inserting a mesh

I have made a model by grouping multiple parts together. I have then exported said model and made it into a mesh. However, its textures were not what I expected.

Goal

The wall should be of a grey color with a green line to it. It is to also be of the concrete material.

Issue

The mesh is correct in itself, but the textures are wrong. It only appears as a white concrete wall. There should be two (2) colors and a darker grey color instead of white.

Concern

Why is it such a simple thing I do, yet it fails?

PROCESS
Makes the model and groups it → Export selection (names it wall.obj) → Asset Manager → Bulk Import → Insert with location.

The mesh is inserted with the correct model of itself, but with incorrect textures. I as well get three (3) image files instead of a singular one.

If you’re wondering why I am using this method of exporting a model into a mesh, it is because I was building it in ROBLOX Studio to then use it with F3X (btools/building tools).

Textures

These are the the three (3) textures the export gave me.
It utilizes the first image file (diff.png) as its default texture upon insertion.

Let me know if I have missed something about this situation and feel free to link any external links in assistance to solving the issue.

Is the new model a singular mesh?

If so, the new mesh will only inherit ONE of the textures.
Also I don’t highly suggest re-importing Roblox Assets as the IP could detect it and warn you, I once was warned for a player humanoid’s texture.

In any case, what’s your intention in importing the model as a mesh in the first place?

Importing models from Studio back to itself, does not optimize it and still keeps the same amount of faces.

My reason is explained in the Concern dropdown list under the image inside of it.
For your initial question: The mesh is made into three (3) parts. A bottom part, a top part, and a part in between to be the green line I mentioned.

I am not sure what this exactly explains itself with exporting the model entirely to a mesh rather than to be mere parts.

Regardless, are the textures you’ve applied in the correct model pieces? It’s weirdly odd that the green one has not been applied to the model.
Alternatively I think you could manage using F3X’s mesh coloring method.

[For it to work, you have to apply “Mesh” to a “Part”. MeshPart does not work with F3X]

I have used brickcolors for the parts and only three (3) parts.

1 Like

I am not sure, but to be certain. When you import the model, it’s a single model, yes? Not 3, but one?

As you export the 3 parts of the model it took two textures and a PBR part of those two. One was green and one was gray/white.
As you imported, it only applied one of them because it can’t do both. This includes the fact that the model is especially with it’s own UV.

If you’d want a single mesh to have multiple colors, there’d be a need for UV editing of sort.
(UV is something that basically is a location of what part of the image it takes as the texture)

After many tests, there are 3 variants of the solution

1. 3x objects Part
  2. SurfaceGui (image)
  3. Prepare the texture directly on the imported object. Unwrap, but with any resizing of the object, the whole thing will fall apart

And since Roblox doesn’t accept OBJECT IDs
you have no other choice

I am not sure what 3x objects Part means as well as how to prepare a texture directly on an imported object (I’m guessing it’s a Blender thing?). Could you explain these two methods?

Although, I may or may not use the second method of using a SurfaceGui, depending on the complexity and time factor of the method.

1. 3x Part Object with same textures. (video)
    2.------
  2. Import object with textures (image)
    –

–

3 variants with a combination SurfaceGUI, I used in this game

I’m guessing 3x Part Object is by using multiple parts and not a model, but wouldn’t that import as more parts?

The unfortunate MultiImport in Roblox instead of one object with multiple ID materials is also a solution option.
Why unhappy ???
Because it just makes it harder to work with both the 3d modeling software and then work in Roblox itself.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.