Increase FOV to higher than 120?

Hello, i saw in the game “The normal Elevator” the fov was extremely high in one segment. now how do i achieve this effect, because the FOV for the camera has a limit of 120.

16 Likes

Isn’t this 120° FOV on the screenshot? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

nope, that is way more. here are 2 screenshots. one with normal fov (70) and one with the 120

3 Likes

Can’t really tell because you’re not “in the hallway” but rather in front of it.
It also doesn’t feel far off (if at all) from the screenshot in OP IMO.

1 Like

maybe the actual build is elongated? For the wood parts this can be achieved by using extended spheremesh using wood material, or you can make a custom texture that’s stretched. Combine that with FOV 120 and you got that effect.

2 Likes

@NowDoTheHarlemShake

2 Likes
game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:connect(function() 
	if (distort > 0.001) then
		cam.CoordinateFrame=cam.CoordinateFrame*CFrame.new(0,0,0,distort,0,0,0,distort,0,0,0,1)
		distort = distort - 0.001
	end 
end)

This is how the black hole effect is done. The R00 and the R11 of the cam’s coordinate frame must be constantly updated (on render stepped), otherwise the camera just resets.

R00 distorts the camera on X axis, R11 distorts on the Y axis.

So if you just want a constant FOV, just render step set the R00 and R11 with a constant number.

I do agree though that FOV shouldn’t be limited to 120.

86 Likes

Savage.
I experimented with this myself, and now I’m extremely thankful that Roblox has 120 FOV limit.
This stuff is insanely trippy.

13 Likes

Last mode looks more like this Star Wars ship’s boost so.

May the force be with you.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s almost like a warp effect, but horrifically nauseating.

4 Likes

I needed it for the warp effect, Because in my game people can do a hyperjump

1 Like

Trippy

3oFzmpg5igRXP7qZPO

That’s at fov=179

11 Likes

Traveling through galaxies, neat.

I guess time to make a star-wars-like game.

2 Likes

maybe you could use that for the effect and then a 3d gui to show a spaceship. Although I dont know if parts displayed with a GUI get affected by the POV or not

Would have to be 2D UI or it would also get warped.

2 Likes

can the cam variable be, local cam = game.Workspace.CurrentCamera? And whats the distort variable

No, it’s like that. And the distort value is that variable.

how do i get this to work? i don’t understand what i’m supposed to do with the cam and distort variables

How did you get this working can you post what you did pls.

local cam = workspace.CurrentCamera
local distort =  0.05

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:connect(function() 
	if (distort > 0.001) then
		cam.CoordinateFrame=cam.CoordinateFrame*CFrame.new(0,0,0,distort,0,0,0,distort,0,0,0,1)
	end 
end)
3 Likes