Increase server memory or provide better memory tools

Do you have a link to that statement?

From what I can see, the folder no longer exists during runtime, only in studio playtests does it persist to runtime.

That’s not what I observed. As I said, I tried it in a live game. Maybe there’s a time limit before it gets purged by the engine.

The folder does exist during runtime. One of my games relies on this behavior due to a legacy script system that I’ve not updated yet.

It doesn’t exist on the client, which might be deceiving you. Switch to the server view.

1 Like

I thought I checked server as well after I realized it’s not on the client, but I may have made a mistake. I’ll check again later today.

Completely forgot about this, but after looking into this more I can confirm that the folder does not save when restarting studio, publishing, or saving to roblox. The only circumstance I can get it to stay is when saving in a local file and opening that local file. I believe this post describes my issue quite well.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/folder-inside-game-gets-deleted-when-restarting-studio/2208906

1 Like

We need a response to this. We as developers have so little access to what goes on serverside. Did the game crash or did it get ddosed? Do I have a memory leak or is it Roblox’s fault? We don’t get logs for anything, we don’t get to see what “UntrackedMemory” even is. The 6GB memory limit would likely be fine if we could actually figure out what exactly is causing our games to spike in memory and not go back down. We need a way to tag memory and we need a confirmation that yes, Roblox does have memory leaking issues related to instances and terrain and those issues are being looked into.

6 Likes
debug.setmemorycategory("script 1")

This is your solution :pray:

1 Like

I know I’m coming in late to this topic, wish I had found it earlier, but how is everyone coming up with this 6.2x GB of RAM number? The reason I ask, at least as of last year, when I ran into the same RAM issue but for different reasons (Ai Coding), I was only about to use around 4GB of RAM before a server would crash and I figured that was the limit and read some other topics here that seem to confirm that. So, again, how is this new number being calculated? Not that it solves your issue, but if the real number is much lower, then it could make your issue worse.

2 Likes

After 6,250 MB of server memory usage, the server terminates itself. If your game is crashing before that, it may either be because the count is not updated or something els is crashing your game.

AFAIK this also scales with max player count

Yeah, I think 100+ max server size doubles it. However, most games do not go that high. I would love to see an increase in server memory limit in 2024, would not complain!

3 Likes

This is extremely needed, especially for huge and realistic games. I’ve been struggling with the 6GB memory cap (since my game is… huge) to the point where I have to start limiting the number of players per server.

1 Like

Can you still increase the maximum server RAM from 6.25 GB to approximately 12+ GB by setting the main place player limit to 100 instead of 700? Also, is it advisable to teleport players to a different place as soon as they join the main place that has a 100-player limit, allowing the new place to have only 30 players while also benefiting from doubled RAM capabilities (Without needing to implement a custom server list system but instead let roblox handle things)? I urgently need someone to provide me with information on this.

I can’t say for sure that memory is bigger for larger player servers, but I’d assume they didn’t change anything so most likely yes.

Using those servers, and artificially limiting player counts using custom matchmaking is a hack. It might work now, but you can’t expect it to keep working forever. For many games a custom matchmaking doesn’t make any sense.

Definitely not advisable in my opinion.

If you don’t use custom matchmaking, only solution I see is to keep track of servers (MemoryStore). If the player they join through the website is too full, teleport them to another public server that has free places. If there’s no free server, reserve a server and teleport them there.

Should work theoretically, but keep in mind you will be removing/breaking vital features like joining friends.

1 Like

Roblox servers have plenty of ram for a big game, you just need to know what you’re doing. It’s much better now than it was years ago.

Roblox implemented a feature to be able to join friends across places, also some 10k concurrent successful games do use a custom serverlist in-game, also the benefits of having a custom serverlist is allowing more controls on which server to join and even naming it and many more but it’s up to the developer!

I just needed to know if the main place had 100 max players count, it would double the max ram for its other places that have lower than 100 max players.

If you had read the post you would not say that

I checked out the game you brought up in the original post, Frontline: Karelia. If you are somehow maxing out server memory then you are doing something wrong.

The maps seem to be using Terrain and props scattered across battlefields. Please look into some optimization techniques and I can guarantee you this game will never hit anywhere near the server memory limit.

Not sure how you are getting 1700MB for PhysicsParts in ServerStorage. My highly detailed FPS game which is comprised of mostly PBR and high poly Mesh is not even close. You are def doing something wrong.

If I check in studio with all the maps/weapons etc loaded in my PhysicsParts are only showing 149MB

In studio, accounting for both client and server (since they are combined) I only reach 3Gigs of memory

If you could post more details on how your new update is somehow maxing out server memory I may be able to help.

What tips do you have for optimizing PhysicsParts? I could use a bit of a reduction.

1 Like