Increase the quality of Clothing Textures

Hey there,

Since ROBLOX introduced HD Decal upload, Clothing in general looks really bad. I would like to suggest a higher quality image upload for Pants, Shirts and T-Shirts.

When I’m shopping for some clothes, I must say they look really pixelated. With the new decals next to them, it honestly looks even worse…

Thanks,
Juriaan

17 Likes

I think this is in the wrong place, but I support.

1 Like

Yep… Should be in ‘Client Bugs’ or ‘Development Discussion’

1 Like

Yeah all clothing is pixelated now…

2 Likes

Clothing is already pretty high resolution. When you have 20 players in a game and each one has a 585x590px shirt and a 585x590px pants on, the bandwidth stacks.

I like the idea of higher quality clothing, but it would be too much for a lot of people’s connections. I think the asset handler should intelligently fetch textures based on the internet speed or graphics quality of the user. It’s ridiculous that hat textures are only 256x256 pixels. I think they should be uploaded at a much higher resolution, and then the size of the texture fetched should be up to the client. That way, if you’re exporting to Blender or taking screenshots, you could choose to use high quality textures, but if you’re just playing games and want fast load times, you could choose lower quality.

2 Likes

Honestly I have a decent connection, and I don’t see how Shirts would be a big issue, when ROBLOX supports HD decals.

But fair enough, perhaps it can work with the Graphic Slider in the Menu Settings ?

2 Likes

I think the problem is that not many of those pixels are actually going into the shirt’s detail
Over half of the template isn’t used. When a player loads 40 clothing textures, they’re also downloading the tutorial 40 times.

Template area:
585 * 559 = 327,015 square pixels

If the visible texture was cut into 64x64 squares, there would be 36 of them
Used template area:
64 * 64 * 36 = 147,456 square pixels
Only 45% of the template is actually part of the clothing

What if the templates were reformatted?
If we played a very simple game of tetris, we could afford to double the resolution
128 * 128 * 36 = 589,824 square pixels
Which uses about 1.8x more data than the current template

Also, pants potentially use a lot more data than they need to, because the pants template also has optional shirt data inside of it.
Current pants would use 20 64x64 squares
64 * 64 * 36 = 81,920 square pixels
Only 25% of the pants template is actually part of the pants

5 Likes

They should do the same thing they do with badges and gamepass; they have an area where it is cut off and replaced with a transparent background

(Black area should be completely transparent)

They should do the same thing they do with badges and gamepass; they have an area where it is cut off and replaced with a transparent background

-snip-

(Black area should be completely transparent)

[/quote]

That may help if it’s compressed. Black may be better than transparent because of blending
This is what I had in mind:

Ooh, and I wouldn’t mind HD gamepass icons/icon changing :]

1 Like

[quote] Clothing is already pretty high resolution. When you have 20 players in a game and each one has a 585x590px shirt and a 585x590px pants on, the bandwidth stacks.

I like the idea of higher quality clothing, but it would be too much for a lot of people’s connections. I think the asset handler should intelligently fetch textures based on the internet speed or graphics quality of the user. It’s ridiculous that hat textures are only 256x256 pixels. I think they should be uploaded at a much higher resolution, and then the size of the texture fetched should be up to the client. That way, if you’re exporting to Blender or taking screenshots, you could choose to use high quality textures, but if you’re just playing games and want fast load times, you could choose lower quality. [/quote]

To add on to this, when the game initially loads, the low-res textures could be fetched, and then the high-res versions loaded and overlayed over them.
Something like IE’s image loading, where it loads/renders a really super-low-quality version and then slowly increases the quality on that.

2 Likes

Does the site not have a method of chopping off all the wasted space on the template for storage and actual use? It makes no sense to keep the tutorial and organization space after the shirt is uploaded.

Nope.
The game loads this:

[quote] Honestly I have a decent connection, and I don’t see how Shirts would be a big issue, when ROBLOX supports HD decals.

But fair enough, perhaps it can work with the Graphic Slider in the Menu Settings ? [/quote]

I have a slower connection, and I can tell you it would get very old, very fast to have to wait longer than I already do sometimes just to be able to see people’s characters’ details. Even worse when I’m also waiting for Gui images to load. My games run smoothly, but images take so long to load at times.

I like the idea of loading lower quality textures at first or loading depending on the graphics setting.