Indentation Lines on the code editor

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to see where the lines of my functions, sometimes spanning hundreds of lines, start and end. I’m hoping that Roblox could add something similar to the indentation lines in VSC, rather than the weird arrows in the show whitespace setting (Displayed below).

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would make my code more readable by magnitudes, and I think many other programmers feel the same way.

11 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Link to original twitter post for reference.

(1) Lordcatfood :soon: RDC 2023 on Twitter: “@NightlyShores Can we please get indentation lines in the studio IDE? Similar to the ones in VSC, not the weird arrows in “show whitespace”” / Twitter

As a user of VS code and Sublime Text, I think this would also be a really good feature to have. It’s part of what makes a good professional IDE.

11 Likes

I agree this would be a good feature to support; I’ve filed a ticket to add it and will reach back out if we need any more information.

5 Likes

This has now shipped. Script Editor now has indentation rulers by default - these can be toggled and recolored in Studio Settings → Script Editor.

3 Likes

what the hell is this

seems to work fine most of the time but maybe its my script making it go crazy because of weird formatting

2 Likes

You’ve found a bug - after some investigation, this happens when your editor is in Tab Indentation mode, but parts of your script are indented with spaces instead. We have now fixed this bug internally and the fix will release in the coming weeks. In the mean time, this can be worked around by either switching to space indentation mode, or by using the “Format Document” button in the menu bar to have the editor switch your space indented code to use tabs.

5 Likes

Hello,

This issue should now be fixed after a Studio restart.