Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

What i was thinking is, why not use env maps for the lighting, and SSR for reflective materials? That way you no longer need the hacky ambience and you have beautiful looking reflections.

We are considering options like this. SSR is not a silver bullet thought

It personally looks very ugly and im not very pleased with it.

Happy to get feedback. But please provide concrete examples. It is hard to fix things that we cannot see! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

So practically a feature so big that could’ve been used in so many ways is just to improve metals because I can’t see the effects of global illumination on regular parts.
I always think that we get so many limited features just because many users don’t know some basic optimizations to use them properly and then they will come to complain, the engine itself doesn’t lack many features they’re just extremely limited in properties
I don’t understand why is it really important to be automatic instead of manual that’s how it works everywhere and no one ever complained because there is another thing when you feel like you can actually make something the way you like and letting a system do it for you

2 Likes

Its hard to explain, but i can move around, and randomly because the wall was orange, the whole scene turns orange. Later down you can see me standing in a closed space, and white walls, appear blue and red?

Its also purely impossible to light up rooms properly, as you make the scene lighter, and suddenly after a few seconds its glowing, then make it a little darker, and it turns black.

If you would like to, i could somehow screenshare and explain whats happening visually which would be much easier.

10 Likes

My question is, why is the skybox color influencing the reflection color indoors? If this feature is made strictly for indoor spaces, why is the skybox having an effect on this?

2 Likes

that’s just how cubemaps that aren’t parallax corrected work. you almost certainly wont need mirror-finish floors anyway; with roughness variation / nonmetal materials its fine imo

1 Like

I think that’s due to how the IBL is lighting the objects along with the actual lighting in the room. you add a light, not only does that illuminate the object, but it becomes part of the cubemap and therefore image based lighting and it’s multiplied.

I understand why Roblox would want their rendering features to be as physically-based as possible - but not allowing the manual placement of probes by that same justification just doesn’t make much sense to me. Sure, envmap probes don’t exist in real life, but having the computer automatically decide where to capture the envmap instead of the user doesn’t change that fact.

I get Roblox’s approach to probe placement in the context of its userbase and overall philosophy - the engine already handles all of the lighting features with little interaction from the user, and it makes sense for that to be the case. Requiring every user to manually set up lighting probes for their objects to shade correctly indoors would definitely not be a good idea, given how Studio already avoids so many other aspects of other engines that beginners could get confused by. However, I can still hope that at some point in time, assuming there’s enough support from other devs as well, manual zones/placement of probes can be made an option.

9 Likes

I’m glad this is modern-day Roblox, because of communication like this! But… good communication doesn’t solve problems. It’s not too late to change the name to a more accurate name! I feel like that would reduce confusion. Also, having studio be as close to reality as possible is NOT a good excuse for not letting developers set probes for this. Automated things in computer science are never as good as a human set thing, unless it’s AI.

4 Likes

When messing around with this in the Castle premade map, I moved the ball from the house to the castle. While the ball was in the castle, it still displayed the surroundings of the house.

1 Like

If Reflectance is legacy now, does that mean I can no longer use it for my games? Also, if Reflectance is going to become a “legacy feature” then shouldn’t you guys bring back the 2 sliders that SurfaceAppearance had in the FiB v15 build? Sliders are going to be very important for customization’s sake, since sliders can reduce the amount of different textures a game has to load. Say I want to offer players a customizable reflectance slider for a car. If I’m using SurfaceAppearance textures, I’m forced to swap out the roughness/metalness maps because I have no actual access to a slider that controls the intensity of Metallic and Roughness maps.

8 Likes

You should add blurred reflections, kinda like this.

10 Likes

It still would have been nice if AT LEAST the developers were given the Enum.GraphicsSettings values to use for themselves.

If Roblox doesn’t want to go through the hassle of testing it, at least we could try ourselves if we’re allowed to manually set them with localscripts. That means that while Roblox themselves wouldn’t have the Advanced Graphics integrated in their own UI, at least we developers can test for them and give results or just use it with our own settings, which would solve their “testing” issue.

Another thing I want to point out about that staff’s explanation is he’s trying to prove to someone why the graphics bar can’t be replaced, not why an Advanced Options should be alongside it. I don’t want the graphics bar to disappear, but clearly the graphics bar does not give anyone knowledgeable full control over what to toggle. His explanation, I quote:

… Most kids just want to play Roblox, not solve mathematical problems. Hence the automatic mode, and the manual slider to back it up the rare time it fails.

If the advanced options is completely separated, this isn’t an issue to begin with. Kids don’t know ANYTHING about what the Micro Profiler or Performance Stats does, so why would Advanced Options be ANY more confusing than either of those options?

12 Likes

Standalone AAA and even Indie games offer detailed graphics options for a reason. A developer doesn’t choose to strip fancy post processing effects from a game so it can run on all devices, they provide options so users on lower end machines can decide which sacrifices to visual fidelity they want to make to prioritize performance. Neutering the maximum potential of an engine by primarily designing it around lower end hardware with no happy middle ground is such a backwards method that has been plaguing Roblox for years.

Please don’t tell me advanced options would be “too hard” to make, your company has more than enough resources required to fund the research and effort that would go into such a huge benefit for the engine. Same goes for the tired “confusing new users,” argument, keep the graphics slider for casual users and integrate a advanced options submenu for the people who care.

14 Likes

By putting a reflectance that high, or perhaps other things like that, you should already expect an outcome that insane. It makes total sense if you really think about it. Crazy number for reflectance, etc. will likely = crazy outcome.
I’ve experienced stuff like that with mesh color offsets, so an outcome like that isn’t out of the ordinary. Roblox never fixed it though; they don’t need to. Same with that.

2 Likes

Terrible excuse. Too much could be said that has already been said.

Less terrible excuse. (still bad tho.) Minecraft has an advanced menu, yet kids don’t care about that, they still customize! I remember doing that a lot when I was like 7. Fortnite has an advanced settings menu on pc, and we know that game’s age range!

Can y’all go back to powering our imagination instead of limiting our powers to customize?
You don’t give us enough choice (I mean, just look at the materials update beta! And this. And the settings menu.)

11 Likes

Will there be an improved version or a supported version? Because a lot of people especially beginners will use this and be confused on why its not working or why its barley there. And its just convenient to it through a slider.

7 Likes

I highly appreciate the response, I love great communication. But I’m not happy with this specific response. Because there’s also no such thing as perfectly flat surfaces, voxels, pixels, and having a computer automatically update a reflection probe. If you’re gonna use reflection probes we should be able to edit how much there are as an advanced setting for each object or for all. Sure its unrealistic but so is a lot of other stuff. Like 99% of stuff in roblox or other engines aren’t physically accurate. Please stop limiting us and give us more freedom.

11 Likes

yeah that’s a good idea and also make people able to make it clear and very blurry like customize it

2 Likes

As nice as it is to have it all automated, you still can’t rely on the automation all of the time, especially when you need to use the reflections in a very specific way…

4 Likes

I just really want Roblox to treat itself as a game engine.

That means

Users can choose between automatic graphics settings - or complex ones allowing them to turn any setting off on, reflections, shadows, pbr etc.

Just look at fortnites graphics settings - 13 year olds play, and have 0 problems.

What would this open doors up for?

Well finally we could get high end graphics features, which can be easily disabled by the client. Mirrors, pbr, high quality shadows, all are visual and dont affect gameplay, they may make the game prettier, but low end devices are not made for that.

FAQ

"well what if a player messes up their graphics settings" | Q

there still is automatic mode, which would fix that for them. | A

"what if the game is made around reflections" | Q

well, developers should also be able to manage graphics settings, and disable, or enable settings which cant be changed by the end user. | A

SUMMARY

I REALLY REALLY REALLY would like the settings to get a overhaul, the client settings on mobile can stay the way they are, but pc platforms REALLY should simply have a robust graphics settings page for players, as well as developers

I do believe that this should be a feature that gets worked, and shipped asap, before any other graphical advancements.

27 Likes