Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

there’s also planar reflections which have nothing to do with Ray Tracing, they just render the scene again on a plane with a secondary camera (but they’re really expensive when used frequently, one being rendered is alright on most devices though i think.) and they also dont work on any shape that’s not flat, I assume this feature is more like a cubemap which works best for other shapes

2 Likes

Welp, is this bug or what? So basically, when I enter the tunnel, the car just going completely black.

https://streamable.com/6rkvea

The texture on the car is PBR

6 Likes

I definitely feel like it would be great addition to have reflective floors - especially in places such as cathedrals, where you’d want to see a rough reflection of the roof and pillars.

1 Like

Nice @ConvexRumbler! Now can we get indoor atmosphere? :grin:

It’s a step in the right direction, however;
It just all around works poorly…
One of the bugs Ive found is that it likes to flash erratically similarly to how future lighting would flash when there were many point lights.

There are many other bugs but those are already brought to attention in other replies and i just wanted to throw this out there after finding it.

Link to flashly lights thing idek

1 Like

i’m not saying you can’t have reflective floors, i’m saying that 0% roughness, metallic floors will never look good with cubemaps especially when they aren’t parallax corrected.

1 Like

this already exists, use roughness/normalmaps in a surfaceappearance.

3 Likes

I am having issues with the new dynamic environment maps.

I would like to be able to disable it without setting
Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale and/or
Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale to 0
Here’s why:

• This is the way this room is designed to look like:

(This screenshot is taken before the dynamic environment maps)
Lighting settings:
Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale = 0
Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale = 0.7

• Here is how it looks like with the update:

Lighting settings:
Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale = 0.7

• Here is one with disabling the feature completely:

Lighting settings:
Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale = 0

I really love the update, but it doesn’t fit this build at all. I would like to have the ability to change this or get any suggestions on how to make this look better with the new update.
Thank you!

19 Likes

I really hope how long it takes the gi to update gets heavily improved. It’s currently extremely slow.

How? It won’t work for me. I turned on the option, cranked up a part’s reflection value and nothing happened. Not even the skybox reflection.

idk man I just imported some of my guns into studio

1 Like

I love this update, hopefully there will be outdoor one too. But instead of limiting us with graphics quality, make advanced graphics settings section, so if someone has really good device, they can get better graphics, like better texture resolution, anti-aliasing, max FPS (30, 60, 120, and unlimited) and etc.

2 Likes

Not gunna lie, this doesn’t sit right with me: What about projects that do not aim for realism? More abstract, fantasist, magical environments?

Many people, me included, do not aim for realism at all when creating a Roblox game, yet still try to take good care of their ambience and everything else. Aren’t you worried that those people might feel left out?

7 Likes

no, but after doing that everything works fine now. ty

from what they said reflectance is legacy and isnt supported with it. You gotta use Surface appearance or just the metal material/any reflective material.

1 Like

Here’s a small tip for those who have trouble using the reflections:

Setting the part reflection to 0.01 works really well, it doesn’t reflect the sky and keeps the wanted reflections.

For example, you can see in this image that the game boxes reflect the background.

2 Likes

Try disabling the beta feature for now. It’s in really early beta and it has a lot of bugs + it can (and probably will) affect your entire game by turning it on. Just wait for it to release or wait until updates about bug fixes. Also the screenshot your posted with the update looks pretty decent.

1 Like

its funny because i was thinking of something like this yesterday before i saw the post

1 Like

does not work at all (i followed all steps on how do i get the beta?)

1 Like

Might have to do this in a new game / template

Set spectacular in lighting to 1, then insert this:

shiny_sphere.rbxm (14.2 KB)

Then set the reflectance of the ball to 0.001
Then put it inside a building.

Hope it works!

2 Likes