Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

i did that and still nothing, what could i be possibly doing wrong?
edit: tried on a template and works but i am trying to get it to work on my game tho

1 Like

I’ve noticed that switching back from Future to other Technology modes retains env maps (and even after saving and loading the place file), is this intended behavior or a bug?

This is really helpful and I would love to use this is non-Future modes in general, but I believe one of the stated requirements to enable it is Future, unless I’ve missed a thread update.

EDIT: to clarify, I only just realized that enabling Future isn’t required to enabled IDEMs, just setting one of the PBR lighting scales. Guess I’ve just never noticed IDEMs already enabled. :grimacing:

It doesn’t work outside onlyindoors. Also reflectance doesnt work with it since its legacy. You can us pbr materials or metal or any reflective inbuilt materials.

3 Likes

It works best in future but you can use it in other lighting techs

2 Likes

im in an indoor building so idont know what im doing wrong, please explain

Ok so I used custom materials which were as reflective as glass and its reflecting off the skybox
(which shouldn’t happen)

fyi: All the lighting settings are in future lighting mode and environmental settings are all the way up except for ambiance and outdoor ambiance.

1 Like

It only works indoors not outdoors

3 Likes

it is for indoors. that is not indoors.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because the walls are too thin or the ambience is too high

1 Like

God DAMN this is hot! Thanks Roblox!

if roblox put this much effort into their moderation then this platform would be complete.

6 Likes

Do not use reflectance
Reflectance is legacy and we are not planning on supporting it with env maps. If you use reflectance you won’t be able to to see env map.

If only custom materials could be applied on regular parts like in the beta again… :cry: Or had the sliders for the different values again… You HAVE to provide model and image IDs now.

9 Likes

Update the reflectance, so surfaceappearance actually works on it.

1 Like

yes that is a bug. Thanks

I feel you guys. But that is an overall direction of Roblox engine and that is not something that we (engineers) can walk around… We need to stick with the vision. The way to go about this is usually: fully automatic, try to collect feedback, improve automatic solution as much as possible and if it is completely un-avoidable, then add some control.

Requesting control of the probes won’t change much at this point. We always want the best for the dev community, but there is also a direction we need to adhere to. We listen to You guys and will work on improving the envmaps. And we hear your feedback on how much you want the control and will keep it in mind!

Please try to post objective feedback, bugs and placement problems as detailed as you can so we can improve on this feature. Reports and showcases where the env map currently breaks is really appreciated.

Thanks

26 Likes

I love this new update, though, the only thing I don’t really understand is the reflective part reflecting itself, as stated in several previous posts.
Real life mirrors do not reflect themselves, ROBLOX one does. :flushed:

RobloxScreenShot20210322_175442492

14 Likes

The indoor environment maps aren’t supposed to act as mirrors, if they were the environment map would capture from the part. Instead it captures from the center of the room

3 Likes

While I understand where you’re coming from, it’s replies like these that highly aggravate me as a developer. What’s stopping us from having granular control over features like these, while also keeping the engine’s easy onboarding process? E.g. for this feature, there could be a bool setting for toggling “automatic” mode and “manual” mode, with the default being “automatic”. This satisfies both audiences: new developers that just want to drag’n’drop, as well as more experienced developers who want control over the engine’s features so they can craft the exact game that they want players to experience. Part of Roblox’s vision is to make bigger, more immersive games - “immersive” is relative to the game, and different developers have different visions for their respective games, just like authors trying to convey meaning through their stories. Having the option of dev control lets us do that, helping satisfy that part of the vision.

then add some control

Again, why can’t we do both in the first place? It literally satisfies both audiences and meets the specs that product wants.

Is there somewhere we as developers can reach out to product to give our feedback on these decisions? I honestly feel like product is a complete black box sometimes, and it’s very frustrating.

27 Likes

Every competing game engine (Unity, Unreal, Godot, Torque3D, etc.) allows almost full control over what the developer can do with their game. Automated features are always OPTIONAL in other game engines.

Why does Roblox want it all to be forcefully automated instead of letting developers have full control over what they want to do with their game? I don’t want to be handheld or restricted by a bunch of features I can’t even choose to toggle or control. If any more features are forced like this, I can’t consider staying in Roblox as a developer, because I bet the next few automated features are going to conflict with what I’ve already worked on, including this current feature.

It’s nice that you acknowledged we want control over this feature, but we want control over every other feature too. This is a game engine after all, not just a “game” with a sandbox mode.

24 Likes

Does this update need to worry me?

I’m starting to get worried, judging by the post, that “ambient” and “reflectance” are legacy.

Roblox has had a history of removing legacy features. Do I need to account for the fact that these systems are going to be removed entirely? Because if so, that’s going to really sour my mood and be more nonsense I have to fix that wasn’t broken.

8 Likes

i kinda wish they did it how the source engine does where you place spots for cubemaps then objects going near it will slowly transition to that cube map

3 Likes

For me it just creates red light out of nowhere.

1 Like