Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

Can You please share your experience with the current env map lighting for You? How does the envmap placement affect you. Does it bother you that there is only one location for probe?

5 Likes

From my little playaround in studio, it seemed to work pretty well for me! Moving from room-to-room wasn’t jarring but in smaller houses it is noticeable, I noticed how it gently eased into the next generated map of course but especially on the bigger map it was fine. Generally moving from area-to-area pushed the engine to capture new reflections, but it didn’t always trigger so I think having a way to ensure manual reflection captures in certain areas would be a bonus.

Something that is bad for my game however (which relies on darkness and not being able to see another character in the distance) is you can see into a pitch black room when standing in an adjacent room with brighter ambience.

11 Likes

Yes! It really does!
Thank you so much!

It is the same resolution though, both 0.1x0.1 studs. Also I thought you meant by parts as in like a bunch of parts used to mimic sunrays which is pretty noticeable, and not a big mesh. If you open your dms or you dm me we can chat about it there and not here because this is very off topic and I don’t want to fill this with off topic posts. There’s more I want to say to show you it’s the same resolution but I don’t want to make this long because its off topic.

1 Like

nice, this effect looks awesome

5 Likes

every time you change the position of the camera it feels very strange, another bad thing about this update

1 Like

Is it safe to say that this scene is heavily inspired by The Platform?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking too!
It brings so many memories :smile:
Also it’s really well done :flushed:

It’s cause you got the Eager Bulk Execution setting turned on which forces some effects to update every frame or at least a lot more frequently (Namely Atmosphere and the dynamic environment maps). Turn it off in the Rendering tab in Studio’s settings

Really nice feature, I understand it’s in beta since there are bugs here and there. Although I cannot wait for it to be released!

The reflection quality isn’t supposed to be superb. The goal of the reflections are to improve the look of PBR materials within Roblox, and it isn’t designed to be used as a mirror.

3 Likes

The reflections look good, but I would like faster reflection updates and clearer reflections on different surfaces

6 Likes

I think automatic placement of “env maps” is appropriate, but in my opinion people are worried that this kind of thinking will extend to other features of the engine where a one size fits all approach does not work :slight_smile: StreamingEnabled comes to mind, where the engine takes complete control and that approach doesn’t work for every game.

3 Likes

its actually what the build is based off of

there needs to be some way to control the reflection probe position, there are a lot of rooms in my game where the “center of the room” is considered under the floor (ball on the screen for reference)

15 Likes

Is this feature the reason I’m getting this weird shading switching when I get “indoors”?

It’s confusing me soo much… :confused:

that’s a real shame. i used legacy reflections all over my game’s buildings to make the “glass” match with the reflectiveness of neon on the textures. alot of people use it too. also, you guys should try making reflective stuff at least reflect the sky correctly at night.

4 Likes

Try changing the sun position, that should help.

How does changing sun position relate to the automatic shading change??

1 Like

If the sun is behind the walls, it’ll have more shadows, if it’s infront of it, it’ll have less shadows.

1 Like