Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

Just to clear what I’ve said about reflectance:

We are not going to remove reflectance any time soon and we would do so only if there is a reasonable (better) replacement.

3 Likes

Well, I have EnvMap enabled, and on this glass wall it has -0.22 transparency, yet I can see both the colour change and the EnvMap, although they switch depending on which side of the staircase I’m at.

5 Likes

This is a huge deal to me. These env maps can darastically change the lighting of a indoor scene, depending on where im standing. If suddenly im looking at a green plant, the whole room can turn green. I think it should be minimised.

3 Likes

i never said it would be removed, i just said that it’s a shame that it won’t support environmental maps.

2 Likes

i Personaly Do like This Update
But i Do Think The Quality Of The Reflections Should Be Increased. It Looks Amazing on Spheres But Not That Well On Cubes And Its Not Parallax Corrected.

Edit: and Allow Us To Use it OutDoors

4 Likes

But the shading change happens automatic, and it has its own mind on when to apply different shading on parts. The sun isn’t moving anywhere.
Please watch the video I sent carefully and see for yourself, because I feel like you’re talking about something entirely unrelated here.

1 Like

it isn’t perfect but i really like the way it looks so far

3 Likes

There is another way of solving it, usually it does this with flat, monotone surfaces. I found making my tiles actually have maps (like normal or roughness maps) tends to help at times and has little-to-no flickering when I move with Eager Bulk Execution.

Although, if you’re looking for more flat, less realistic environments, you may turn off Eager Bulk Execution.

1 Like

@Veldaren and @PixelDominoes It’s because Roblox got rid of the CubeMap being set in a single point of a room. Now they have it relative to the position of your camera, and to be honest, it just makes it that much worse.

3 Likes

Gotta love Roblox restricting developer’s access over their games and features for the 9999999th time. I’m fine with the whole automation thing but allow us to edit said automation in some advanced options drop down menu or something.

Its like Roblox is trying to go the Airbus way. Except you can edit all the automation on a Airbus while Roblox puts in the worst AI known to mankind to do it for you and you can’t do anything about it.

5 Likes

I agree with you, also Roblox redid the Dynamic Indoor Environment maps so they suck now and don’t look proper in my game.

Before:

After:

I think the before was better, albeit most of the complaints were in different environments so who knows?

2 Likes

By what I mean is that the color from the window doesn’t match what it actually is (Brick Yellow) and defaults to this more bland grey color.

In other cases I can’t even get it to load at all even with Eager Bulk Execution.

This is a continuation of a previous reply:

Update on Roblox screwing over reflections: They’ve made it so reflections are no longer anchored to a single part of a room, but rather relative to your camera. Goodness gracious…

Let me explain the reason why Roblox did this, and why no one likes it.
By default the Roblox engine has your character moving pretty slow so walking from room to room should take a while, right? Then that means that the reflections should have time to update and correctly reflect it’s environment as the character enters a room, right? No. The reflections update super slow making them reflect other parts of the game, making it more of an eyesore.

This is especially a problem for games with extreme speed or free cam.
Another problem with this is with the Roblox AI, which I’ve complained about in the previous reply (it wasn’t good to begin with and now it’s worse); simply walking 10-20 studs is apparently enough of a difference to create a new CubeMap, which is all the more jarring.

All this could be fixed if Roblox simply allowed individual parts to have their own reflections, or giving us more control over these CubeMap reflections, such as where are they placed, the scale, the images on the CubeMap, WHAT PARTS ARE REFLECTIVE (more on that later), etc. I’ve said this before in the previous reply that Roblox seriously needs to stop keeping these kind of controls from our reach, because these kinds of things may lead us to just leave out updates like this from our games completely.

Some more problems with the update:

• Reflections are cool and all, but you seriously don’t need to make every. Single. PART. INFLUENCED. Everything becomes discolored and walking from one room to another that’s made with SmoothPlastic looks horrendous, and the fact that the CubeMaps update suuuuuuuupppeeerr slow doesn’t help at all.
    The yellow on the walls and floor aren’t from any light source in the room.

The floor isn’t green, it’s WHITE METAL and all I did was come from a different room.
  • We have literally have ZERO control over this. The CubeMaps are added automatically to every part. We don’t have a say on which part reflects the room or not. We can’t make custom CubeMaps. If we actually had decent customization we could make something like the Galaxy Skin from Fortnite.

Notice how it’s not reflecting the skybox but instead a CubeMap of space.
  • They aren’t parallax corrected. A parallax corrected CubeMap, in simple terms, aligns the cubemap to the edges of a part/geometry making it look much better. Roblox on the other hand, doesn’t have this making walls and floors have weird colors. (Please excuse my bad handwriting.)

Example of Parallax Corrected CubeMaps:
    Parallax Corrected Cubemaps in the Source Engine - YouTube
    Roblox has stated that having parallax corrected CubeMaps won’t work with complex enviroments, but I don’t feel like that’s a valid excuse not to add them. (They haven’t entirely denied the addition of Parallax Correction, but still it’s good to point it out to let more people know.)
  • This quote makes me extremely mad.

“-no such thing as a ‘lighting probe’ in the physical world-”. I’m not sure about anyone else, but I implied something like, “If it’s not in real life, we won’t add it”. Not everyone is looking to make realistic games. Stop trying to push realism on everyone because it’s unfair to those who want to make a cartoony or low poly game. Realism is not an excuse for not giving us control over a new update, especially if it has the potential to enhance games on not just in terms of graphics, but on an immersive level.

The truth is that Roblox isn’t making this better, and right now Roblox seems to have taken yet another step back. In the end, this all boils down to performance and compatibility. Roblox wants to make games equally as immersive and fun across all platforms, and I get it, but something as big as this, requires more than just limiting resource consumption. They need to add more customization to graphics so people can fine tune their experience and performance for what fits their system, the game, and themselves. Roblox is a MULTI-BILLION dollar company, and the fact that Roblox isn’t doing these type of things, makes me question what exactly are they doing?

22 Likes

I agree. Personally had to disable this beta due to so much discoloration, and purely more negatives then positives.

3 Likes

I tried this out in one of my projects and it looks really cool!

The only problem that I have with this feature is that you need to flashbang yourself to see these reflections but other than that, I really like this feature. : D

4 Likes

Amazing ROBLOX moderation, keeping the site tidy as always. :+1:t2:

My frustration aside, does ROBLOX think the textures are just a transparent image where you put it on a dark surface and it displays a hidden message?

Anyway, the textures are from this site.

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Metal035

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Metal032

https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Metal038

Edit: Guess I won’t be doing this for awhile until ROBLOX fixes that, uploading from studio or the site gives the same result.

Edit 2: At least I was spared from getting attacked with another account warning.

8 Likes

I haven’t encountered that problem when I uploaded some Metal textures like that (032 to be exact)

Notes:

1. PBR textures are, unfortunately, broken right now, due to a backend upgrade of SurfaceAppearance.
  2. If you are uploading the same file, try changing the file name to something like “Metal.png”. It’s dumb, but Roblox moderates File names.
1 Like