Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

I think he’s trying to say environment maps and screen space reflections should be combined, and also any object that moves should be using SSR, whilst objects that are still should use Env maps.

3 Likes

for now all we ask for is the option to disable/enable this feature manually and the ability to place reflection probes wherever we like

at this point the last thing roblox needs is development dedicated towards ‘replicating real world properties and behaviors’ by using set/unchangeable algorithms and workarounds that would’ve been better off done manually to produce results according to the wants and needs of the game’s developers while also maintaining the playability and compatibility of games that doesn’t make use of or benefit off this feature, same thing with the new upcoming materials

i can’t see a legitimate reason on why roblox as a whole wouldn’t benefit from being able to maintain older games and expand the options that developers have

if it’s gonna take time then we can wait, these features are desirable for me and some other people but if it’s going to ruin the experience for others that don’t desire them and have no ability to avoid them then we don’t need it

2 Likes

It’s stupid that Roblox just got any kind of reflection, there’s been SSR in both unity and unreal for years now, while Roblox is getting ENV maps which is the little brother to SSR and it just looks horrible.

Env maps can look great, Roblox hasn’t done a very good job at implementing them and they restricted us by making the “Probes” placement automatic only

Major features ENV maps is lacking:
Placement system (move glitched probes around to correct mistakes)
Parallax correction

SSR or “Screen Space Reflections” has its uses but they are limited too, Reflections are only On screen (you cant see stuff behind you reflect)

Most other game engines call ENV maps “CubeMaps” A lot of really realistic and well made games use them because they work and they have a great performance to quality ratio compared to other methods (RTX and SSR mainly)

A few good examples of modern engines using cubemaps/envmaps:
Unity - Cubemaps (unity.com) - Unity3D
Cubemaps | Unreal Engine Documentation - Unreal 4.9
Cubemaps - Valve Developer Community (valvesoftware.com) -Source Engine

One thing I dont think even roblox understands, is their “Vision” , Roblox (as a platform) constantly tries to automate things and make development really easy, Roblox (As an engine/tech company) keeps trying to innovate and improve on itself with huge new features and updates for developers, They constantly flip flop between the two opposing directions.

4 Likes

Seems like the beta has been disabled for now I think? I can’t find the feature anymore in the beta features and objects in indoor spaces no longer have cubemap reflections

1 Like

I’ve also noticed this as all of the SurfaceAppearances that I had adjusted for EnvMaps are now broken. All of my MeshParts with SA’s just look dark.

Are Indoor Dynamic EnvMaps going live soon, or did something break?

2 Likes

Beta feature is currently disabled. We’re making some updates. It will hopefully go live early next month.

@gluGPU

9 Likes

Ok, cool, thanks for the update!
I had really liked the feature so far so I was kinda sad when it went away. I think the only thing it really needs is optional manual probe placement but other than that it worked great

This Is A Pretty Realistic Update. No More Sky Reflection! :grinning:

2 Likes

Love how realistic Roblox is getting, nice work staff :clap: :clap: :clap:

Please, don’t make it go live without some serious fixes. Let us test first. :pray:

2 Likes

Please do not make this live without adding an on/off toggle at the very minimum. This is another example of changing developers’ places look and feel without permission - adding options (especially in this case) would harm no-one.

7 Likes

It doesn’t look like that. Where is the Env map on beta settings? And I also did the lightening stuff too. It just looks like this:

It isn’t see through, Its just black. How do I fix this?

Beta is disable - next time scroll up or you’ll miss important information.

2 Likes

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
thanks

It just got released, and its embarrasingly bad. I am sorry but, i can move from one area to another, and the green light remains for a while, untill i move like an idiot and then the room becomes insanely bright, unless im in the perfect location.

Please plesae please, either let us place probes

or scrap this update and use screenspace global ilumination

4 Likes

Sorry about that. We have removed most components that can affects scene brightness greatly. Could you send me a place file that can reproduce the overbright issue? Thanks.

2 Likes

It’s all good, it’s just that I feel teased in a way seeing the hackweek with proper global illumination than this.

And yes, ill pm you the place file.

Thank you for the response always appreciated it!

1 Like

Update:
We’ve removed diffuse lighting from the indoor environment map. Now it works only for reflections on smooth objects. Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale no longer affects this feature. EnvironmentSpecularScale continue works as a controler. Set it to 1 for full power. Set it to a smaller value for less impact.

Now it’s live in studio beta and games with Lighting.Technology set to Future.

Known issues:
We have bad sky visibilty if you use MeshParts as room roof/walls. This can cause light leak into the room and you can see reflections from skybox instead of the room. It may also cause env map not updating in the room. We’re working on improvements.

Edit: Disabled because of a bug. Will be fixed soon.

10 Likes

But what if I want to have shiny metal, FIB3 without EnvMaps? Could we please have a toggle?

2 Likes