Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

I know he did that, but I wanted to know how he took such seamless skybox images. If you glitch out using Shiftlock to look outside of the walls, there aren’t any imperfections across the images which i find extremely hard to pull off

1 Like

Pretty sure he just used the View Selector tool in Studio and corrected the images in an editing software because there are some imperfections but they’re not that obvious like these radial lines that seem to be on every corner of the skybox:

Or this discoloration:

Also, this random thing I discovered, he had to crank the exposure level SUUUUPPEEEERR high to make the reflections look good lol

3 Likes

The update is at an horrible state. Its too sudden, too slow, no developer input and doesn’t even look good, at all.

7 Likes

I agree to a lot with this, they either need to make Screen space reflections, which they’re already doing with water or just make us be able to make env maps ourselves

6 Likes

In all honesty, this update needs a lot of work and needs to be fixed. But the EnvMap GI works well in a few cases:

Some school I built with EnvMaps turned on

Keep in mind this only really works if locations have a matching/consistent color scheme. Also in the second to last photo, the blue on the walls is coming from a surface light I placed at the bottom of the pool, EnvMap GI could never do something like that.

bonus photo lol

8 Likes

At this point, this should be scrapped and replaced with screen space reflections. Considering screen space reflections are already on water, it would take at most a few hours to copy the code over.

5 Likes

Yeah, ENVMaps are Source engine-type stuff, Old and look so bad, while SSR is way better and actually simulates movement and the reflection doesn’t stay in one place when the object is moved.

Uh, actually EnvMaps are just CubeMaps, and if used correctly, are very beneficial. CubeMaps are use in AAA games, for Example; PS4 Spiderman, where they are used for building decoration.

3 Likes

man, some of the takes on this thread are… interesting. there’s nothing from with environment maps. they serve a different purpose than SSR.

3 Likes

Actually theres a lot of artifacts and stuff which makes it look really weird. It works for water because they distort it a lot which hides it. So it would take some time for it to work for parts, and fixes to the distortion could cause other bugs and it might not be that performant in general since it would need to support quite alot of parts. So they might have to work on that aswel.

4 Likes

I agree 65% with this statement. EnvMaps should not be scrapped, but the direction of this update needs to change A LOT if Roblox wants to make this beneficial.

They would have to add more reflection probes, remove automatic placement, and stop using CubeMaps as GI. They would have to use use actual Global Illumination technology, like Light Fields or Voxel GI, and not some subpar work around (as well as adding screen spaced reflections).
Example of Light Fields in Sonic Generations:

Keep in mind that Sonic Generations is a 2011 game. That was a DECADE ago. Surely this technology could be implemented with enough time and resources right?

Also if that’s too hard to implement, we could just use SSGI (screen spaced global illumination) or some sort of GI baking tool inside Studio.

9 Likes

If Roblox really wants the engine to be more realistic, they should try giving the devs the control. Manual cubemap placement will always be better than the automatic alternative. Personally I wouldn’t call Roblox Studio a realistic engine yet. It lacks dynamic features.

4 Likes

that game almost certainly uses precomputed light bounces. roblox doesn’t have that option. realtime GI is just now becoming a “thing” that is for high end game engines; the new version of Unreal Engine has announced it that its realtime GI system won’t have mobile support, either. your expectations are way too high; if roblox had static objects and baking it would be a different story, but for an engine with dynamic lighting that runs on moble, i really doubt it’s gonna get the type of GI you’re asking for.

using IBL from local cubemaps to make objects better fit in their environment is already pretty good. adding SSR on top would make it fit even better. look at interior lighting in a game like Fortnite, for example, which runs dynamic lighting as well because of its destruction physics.

5 Likes

Clearly, you didn’t pay attention. EnvMaps caused the map to be tinted blue and made shadows a lot brighter and less realistic.

2 Likes

EnvMaps is so unrealistic and just looks worse than without anything, SSR looks very good and is at least a bit more realistic than EnvMaps

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, once I installed shaders and enabled SSR, it looked beautiful. And if I’d compare SSR to EnvMaps, you don’t have to look twice to clearly know SSR is better.

1 Like

This could theoretically work out quite well. EnvMaps could work if we were not only given manual control but also with GI.

If Roblox wanted to ship a realistic reflections update quickly though, SSR would be an easy temporary solution.

3 Likes

so in other weord, there shudl be both a mixture of environment maps and screan space reflections, with the ability to change any object that moves to use screan space reflections and static objects that dont move to use environment maps

I would like if on low settings it would be ENV maps, and on higher graphics it’s SSR

4 Likes

I don’t understand. Please repeat/elaborate.