Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

Woohoo! We can finally make mirrors! (Oki, that’s the first thing that came up when I saw this :joy:)

Anyway, amazing update! I thought about indoor reflections during breakfast, fun to see the implementation on the same day!

1 Like

yeah mirror… but without seeing yourself

4 Likes

Ah, indeed, I’ve read the details now. I hope there will be some more work on this, because then it’ll be an amazing graphics enchantment!

1 Like

well… at least its an upgrade

1 Like

does this work for other players as well or only you can see it?

Why do you only limit it to indoors? I would love to have it outdoors. Having a fully reflected ball outside still isn’t that nice. Please make it reflect outdoors it also would fix the issues with reflections being barley visible

But why? Why cant it be from the object that’s getting reflected? Doing the current way makes inaccurate reflation’s that doesn’t fully align to what’s actually present. I could get needing to support more reflection’s for low performance cost for each object but this just now unacceptable. Also why cant we customize where the probes are reflected?

Also the current reflection’s are way to low res and are very pixelated. Also why can’t you add a Realtime option? It would be so cool to use this as a gameplay mechanic in an fps game and seeing an enemies reflection.

3 Likes

Yikes…

One moment I see a reflection, another moment I go to another location and come back and the entire thing is broken…

• Deleting the part and spawning a new one does not fix it

• Moving the part does not fix it

• Duplicating the part does not fix it

• Waiting does fix it… but as shown in the image below… The reflection is messed up

• Restarting studio also fixes it

1 Like

Reflections are cool and all, but why has roblox not made a mirror yet? They exist, but they’re almost impossible to make in their current state by players for some reason. Is there a reason for this?

5 Likes

real time mirrors are basically RTX, which won’t work in roblox

Edit : but yknow you can prob make a mirror the manual scripting way

2 Likes

What do you mean by RTX vrs221

I really get why this is still in beta

1 Like

RTX is very good at mirrors,since every surface is ray traced meaning it got very good reflections, but at the cost of a lot of performance. But If you want mirrors in roblox you gonna need a ray cast method to show reflections in a custom gui using parrallel lua.

It only works if there is no light outside, so basically time of day 0

1 Like

At this point, the feature should be a alpha. :sob:

2 Likes

Eh, they’ll figure it out. Remember the skinned mesh disaster? Well they are actually pretty usable now.

4 Likes

That isn’t true. It just works best with PBR textures (I used cc0textures.com for this example)

4 Likes

How did you do that? Looks amazing

1 Like

Looks pretty cool! I am looking forward to this update. I think we should be able to manually do this though.

Sometimes it doesn’t work, like in the Western template.

3 Likes

RTX Means Ray Tracing and Path Tracing.

We might support outdoors in the future. TBD.
The goal of this feature is to provide better global illumination for indoor environment. It affects all objects, not only smooth objects. The quality of the reflection is not a key point. Increasing resolution will have more performance impact. It can’t be real time because most devices are not fast enough.

14 Likes