Infinite Terrain Plugin

It would take a long time, and i don’t have that much time to place it all into my github. Sorry :frowning:

Also currently the terrain use bezier curve,Meaning on real scale terrain,The steepest point would be sea level,Could you instead make the sea level flatter??

i did not get what your asking
but you can set the min height to something like -20 to make underwater flat

No i mean I am making real scale mountain,Which the amplifier is around ~53332 and it make mountain go up to ~7000-8000 real life meter(Not stud) but as the height go higher,It get flatter and the top of the it’s the flattest,So can you use linear noise instead of bezier ??

Why is there always water when I try to generate terrain?

the plugin uses roblox build in math.noise function found here math | Roblox Creator Documentation

currently no support for multpla noise functions

setting the water height or shifting the terrain up and down will adjust the amount of water you see

by default water will be at a height of 0 so if you have terrain that is generated under the height of 0 then the hole terrain will be water you can shift the terrain up to bring it above the height of 0

if you want to remove water all togever you can also set water height to something like -10000 then there should be no water

1 Like

This is just a meme but my terrain go down to -25000

Hey there! Just tested out your plugin, and although it works great in the editor (following your tutorial exactly btw) it just does not work in the game. I can walk as far as I generated in the editor, then the terrain just stops. I’ve tried lots of things, and this is my last hope. Somebody, help!

4:40 in to this video is where i show how to do it

step 1 --press the create local script button
step 2 --save terrain data into the localscript also save heightdata and materialdata if you have done some edits and painting
step 3 --clear the terrain
step 4 --run the game
1 Like

Ohhhhhhh… thanks! It works now!

This has got me thinking about whether client side world generation might be a way to handle origin shifting. So not only can you have infinite terrain but players can wander as far from the origin and each other without running into floating point errors.

Let’s say you create a virtual coordinate system based on a big number library. Then as a player moves through a world you use client side origin shifting to ensure the player and everything around them are never too far from the render origin. Since there are other players also wandering around with origin shifting you’d also need to suppress their visibility of one another unless they are within viewing distance. When they are within viewing distance of one another the render origin would just need to be set to some point where all players within viewing distance are less than 100000 studs from that point.

1 Like

its possible but would need a lot of work

the way i would do it was i would turn player character auto spawn off then make the client generate there own character on the client side then send a event to the server with there position

the client would keep there character at 0, 0, 0 but move the terrain under there feet as they walk as we cant shift robloxes terrain we would need to create are own custom terrain to allow us to shift the terrain under are feet

but not only terrain all parts and meshes would also need to be client sided and shifted as they walk

the draw distance would not be able to be that far so we dont have to shift to many objects

then the server would send events to all clients of there surrounding players then each client would create a character to represent the other player

but there are other ways like making the player walk 100 studs before wrapping them back to -100 and quickly regenerating the terrain but the time it would take to erase the terrain and regenetate the terrain would not be that smooth

but i dont thing its a good idea just makes everything a lot more complex and performance will never be as good as just moveing the character on its own

in my replay before i said that you cant shift the terrain but i just found out that you can shift the terrain by using Workspace.OriginPosition

so what you would do is shift everything using Workspace.OriginPosition but keep you Character at 0, 0, 0 everythink would need to be client sided to work

I’m only interested because of the snow photo!

1 Like

There are lots of cool material combinations but i did not want to upload 10000s of screenshots if i get time i might make a video showing some cool noise/material combos :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This plugin is really amazing. Great job and keep up the good work!

1 Like

I’m curious which configurations did you use on this screenshot?

1 Like

i dont have the terrain data for that screenshot anymore but this is kinda close to it

3 Likes

Minecraft 1.18 in a nutshell. Those mountains look damn nice tho

1 Like