Infinite yield on Roblox core scripts GetServerVersion

My game gets stuck after the loading screen because of this. It doesn’t always happen but this is the third time now.

6ff70e826d6619946603d3bc8b3ddb96

6 Likes

Does it only happen on your game, or have you tried other games and experienced the same problem?

Hi, I made this code. So the issue seems to be that you’re not connecting to the server. This WaitForChild is in a separate thread that won’t hold up the topbar’s loading process. The fact that it’s not finding something the server made is an indication that objects from the server are not replicating to you.

1 Like

How do you advice we go about finding what’s not replicating and fix it because this may be the reason why people freeze up on spawn sometimes in my game.

So I believe this started happening on the 8th of August but it seems that players are having trouble loading the game Polyguns. They can click the play button and the roblox player will load but the game assets and such won’t leaving them with a blue screen (the skybox is blue). For the first day or so after it started happening almost no one could play the game and then it half fixed itself but it’s still got problems. I do know that we didn’t update the game around that time so I believe that the problem is caused by some update on Roblox end but I have no idea what it is so I’m posting here in hopes that one of the admins might be able to look into this and see what’s up. A little side note, I know that it says the game was last updated on the 8th but that was us trying to figure out what was wrong.

I joined the game and immediately experienced the issue. This is my screen:

I can’t move my camera, the screen is blue because of the skybox, and you can see the map a bit as well. I hear players shooting, reloading, etc in the background, so I think the assets are loaded, it’s just that the client is hanging on something. This was my client log when joining:

I could of sworn I saw a post with the same first warning, but I can’t seem to find it.

Edit: I found a thread on the ROBLOX forums from two days ago describing the same infinite yield on GetServerVersion issue, and they said disabling PGS solved the problem. Do you have PGS enabled for your game @EndorsedModel?

Edit2: Found the thread I remembered seeing: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/this-is-breaking-my-game/48327

Yes, PGS is enabled.

If you have a dev version of the place this also happens on, can you try disabling PGS there and seeing if that resolves the issue? Not as a fix, but to potentially help track down the problem.

Here’s a test place I quickly made with PGS disabled: https://www.roblox.com/games/982806581/Polyguns-Bug-Testing#!/game-instances

I received the same warning, but was able to get to the menu screen without trouble:

Edit: Looks like PGS has nothing to do with it as the ROBLOX forum suggested. In the main game I was able to get to the menu screen as well, again with the same warning:

In the main game were you able to play the game?

Yes, I was able to play in the main game. I’m not sure the GetServerVersion is the cause since I get it even when I am able to play, but it’s a common link between Polyguns and the game of the OP of the previous thread I linked where you both are having the same loading issue that happens sometimes.

As I mentioned in the other thread, GetServerVersion is a remote function that is created by the server. The client waits for this in a separate thread from the main loading thread for the top bar and settings hub. The issue seems to be networking related as things are not being replicated properly.

1 Like

Are you using a workaround to get the PlayerGui without having a character? Another game was having intermittent issues related to that:

There was a networking change that altered timing, so if you do something like this it may fail randomly:

function givefakecharacter(plr)    --This is to give the player local scripts without a character
    plr:LoadCharacter()
    wait()
    plr.Character=nil
    end
function playerAdded(player)
    givefakecharacter(player)
--[[...]]
end
game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(playerAdded)
for _,v in pairs(game.Players:GetPlayers()) do
    playerAdded(v)
end

This is not guaranteed to succeed. The workaround from that other thread is to have an empty StarterCharacter model in StarterPlayer

this has been happening to me for so long

i made a dev forum post about it but no one really noticed

i cant even get past the loading screen, the game title doesnt show up on the loading screen either

its just a grey background with the roblox O rotating

not sure if this is a similar issue, but i thought i’d point that out
i can barely play any roblox games because of this

1 Like

Sorry for necroing

My friend who’s not a member of the devforums has been having this same issue for the past couple weeks, It’s not a network issue (on his side at least), he sees the game map and players jumping and moving, along with physics and stuff created by scripts on the server He’s able to connect to games from other devices in his house. He’s tried multiple fresh installs of ROBLOX to no avail. It’s really been stifling development of his projects as he’s not able to do online testing easily. His username is Nacker if you’d like to reach out to him.

2 Likes

Meanwhile I’m getting odd errors in which I have no clue where they come from.

0-zSWktzQlSgQUHb09R3Yw

It looks like you have a script named “.” parented to nil. If you use 3rd-party scripts in your game, that may be the cause.

No third party scripts, quite sure.

Someone sent me a fort that was broken to look at and it had a similar error. I checked for scripts named “.”, “Preparing to break” and “Breaking”