Inline Updates on Android

Currently, when launching the Roblox app on Android, if the app requires an update, Roblox will display a prompt to allow the user to go to the Play Store to update the app.

I feel this process could be simplified by making use of Inline Updates, provided by Google Play Services. This feature is available for devices running Android 5.0 and above and the Play Core library 1.5.0 and above.

Using the “Immediate Update Flow,” an app can display an update dialogue and allow the user to download and install the update right there and then, without having to physically leave the app itself.

This would be especially useful on devices like Chromebooks and older devices where apps don’t always automatically update, and can sometimes be quite slow to open the Play Store due to the lack of processing power.

I have seen other apps use this without prompting first, unlike the example above, and display the Immediate Update Flow straight away upon launching the app.

I don’t know if iOS and Windows apps have similar capabilities, but I feel this is one way Roblox can simplify app updates and keep the app up-to-date like the desktop client.

22 Likes