Input issue causes player to be unable to control character even on an empty baseplate

I started getting reports from users saying that they are unable to move in my game - their character seems to be spawning in, they can move their camera around, even jump, but they are unable to move.

I found a way to replicate this issue on a default baseplate, however there must be at least one other set of conditions that trigger this “hardlock” as I will explain later.

Reproduction Steps

1. Plug an XBOX controller into a PC, but don’t touch it. Just leave it plugged in and on. You will be using WASD the entire time to try to walk around.

2. Join an empty baseplate. Note that WASD works to move your character.

3. Reset your character.

4. You become hardlocked, WASD no longer works to move your character.

Interestingly, opening the developer console appears to fix the hardlock.

Once again I would like to note that there must be another currently unknown set of circumstances that can cause this issue, because I have players reporting that they are entering this broken state immediately upon joining, without resetting their character. I am thinking it might have something to do with me having CharacterAutoLoads = false in my game, and when I call :LoadCharacter it might be serving the same function as a reset, but I haven’t been able to replicate exactly what my users are reporting since I don’t know all the details of what device they are on, what gamepad(s) they have plugged in, etc.

3 Likes

Hello, thanks for the report! I have looked into this and am unable to reproduce the issue using the steps provided in a baseplate experience. Is it possible there is a step I am missing?