Input on my UI Design?

Hello Everyone,

I’m currently developing for a group inspired by the Papers’ Please game and ‘1984’ book by George Orwell. UI Design is my main interest when it comes to the style of a game (at the moment), and because of that, I wanted to collect feedback to improve any blunders in my prototypes; shown below.

In case you were wondering, my colour scheme is similar to that of the images displayed in the two links above.

I’m only interested in the design right now. Programming will come later.

Loading Screen:

Main Menu:

Main Menu – Teams:

Main Menu – Credits:

This is my first post on the DevForum and I’m so glad to be a part of it!

Thank you for reading, especially if you suggested!
You can DM me on DOMlNlON

7 Likes

Those are some alluring UI designs. Certainly some good work you’ve put forth.

There’s only two real pieces of feedback that I have to give after looking over the images for a bit. There’s probably more to be said, but I can’t think of anything right now.

I think that the corner fold is a nice addition to show off your logo, though it feels a little off-putting in some screens. For example, on the teams menu, the corner fold obscures a part of the UI.

It’s a hard sacrifice in choosing which one to favour - the corner fold or the tab container - but I feel that making a compromise in order to have a clear UI would be much more aesthetically pleasing over part of it hidden underneath another element.

The second thing to mention is the credit screen and how a few of the usernames are inconsistently sized. It feels somewhat jarring or improper.

Typically when I set up screens that require usernames and I’m looking for consistency, I set the text to “OnlyTwentyCharacters”. Since usernames can only be 20 characters long, this username makes for good sizing reference. Once I’m sure that all usernames can fit in that box, then I change the text to a proper username. This assumes no use of TextWrapped or TextScaled.

Besides that, awesome work there. Good luck with your project.

Also, off-topic question,

Did you mean Discord or your actual username? :wink:

1 Like

Hey colbert2677,

Thanks for your feedback regarding my UI.

As for the Teams Menu, I’m aware of the off-putting text ‘Outsider’ and I’ve tried to approach this two ways thus far. My first approach was increasing the object’s Zindex to put it above the corner, the result is shown below.

#1 Approach:

After that, I tried the alternative of resizing the team changing contents, the result is shown below.

#2 Approach:

As for the Credits Menu, I’ve taken your recommendation into consideration if I redesign the UI.
I’m tempted to either move the parallelograms on the left of their names [closer to their names], or keep to my current layout and just resize the long names to the right so they fit.

Off-topic wise, yeah it’s meant to be my discord, but for some reason it went underneath; automatically. :yum:

1 Like

That looks amazing, personally I am not very good at UI design. I wish I was though. You should post like tips for beginners, that would help me a lot. Thanks - coast.

3 Likes

Thank you for your appreciation, C0ASTALLY.

I’ll be sure to get around to making a guide on UI Design at some point, keep an eye out! :grin: