"Insert Object" widget does not respect user's monitor choice

Reproduction Steps
This requires 2+ monitors.

1. Boot up studio on your primary monitor
  2. Move studio over to your secondary monitor
  3. Open up a baseplate, click on a service and press CTRL + I to open the “insert object” popup
  4. Notice that the popup displays on your primary monitor, instead of displaying within the studio window on your secondary monitor

Primary Monitor:

Secondary Monitor:

Image example:

Expected Behavior
It is expected that the “insert object” popup displays within the studio window, regardless of what monitor studio is moved to.

Actual Behavior
The “insert object” popup displays outside of studio’s window, on the original monitor studio was opened on.

Workaround
None

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-09-28 05:09:00 (-04:00)

4 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. Ctrl I by default should open up the insert object menu on the mouse cursor.
It seems like the current behavior is that when the menu is in the expanded state it always opens up on the monitor with the central studio application. But then when you switch to the non-expanded mode, it goes back to where the mouse cursor was when Ctrl I was first pressed.
In this video it seems like you are pressing ctrl+I on your second monitor, which is causing this behavior.
I will file the bug as, Ctrl+I when opening up the expanded view, should open on whatever screen the mouse is currently on

I am also seeing a bug where if you have any studio widgets undocked on a separate screen, the Insert Menu is showing improperly positioned/ with the wrong resolution when opened. I will also file a ticket for this.
This same bug seems to happen if studio is entirely living on a non-primary monitor and your mouse is on the primary monitor.

Please let me know if you believe your issue is not captured by either of these tickets.

3 Likes

Hi, this actually isn’t the case - I had my mouse positioned on my right monitor, in the studio window and I pressed CTRL + I. The widget still popped up on my left monitor, even though it wasn’t in an expanded state.

This is still a bug today on my machine (win10.0.19043) with the latest version of studio. It will always display on the primary monitor, rather than the monitor studio is open on.

Reproduce

1. Open studio on a non-primary monitor (as determined in Windows’ display settings)
  2. Open the object insert panel through any means (Ctrl-I, plus icon, etc.)
  3. Panel should appear on wrong monitor

Examples
Displaying correctly when on primary monitor

Displaying incorrectly after changing primary monitor

Apologies for bumping. I was unable to make a new post and was unsure if I should when it is the exact same problem

Hi all - closing out some older issues that were left hanging. This is an older issue, but I believe this was fixed in a prior pass during some of our docking work - we are no longer able to reproduce the issue as given.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed this issue happening either. If I notice it happening again I’ll file a new report and link back to this one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.