Inside the Featured Games Program

Hi, I’m cbmaximillian, the bum behind Operation Scorpion.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Pikalyze. This was from a few years ago when applications were handled through the featured games email.

What game did you work on?

I worked on Identity Thief, a game inspired by Town of Salem/Possession: https://www.roblox.com/games/241538090/Identity-Thief

What was your role in the project?

Main coder/map designer/ui design. Any outside maps also ran through my editing/changes before it went in.

What month and year were you featured on?

Not certain about exact dates but it was around March 2016, even have a random reddit post panicking about it.

What have you learned during the time you have been featured?

Bugfix hard before you release a project. Identity Thief was incredibly buggy while it was featured, coming out with probably 100+ bugs that I never knew existed until people started playing.

What is your twitter?

https://twitter.com/pikalyze

2 Likes

Hello,
I am Kevo1ution, the creator of Evo1ution Games.

The game that got featured that I worked on was Block Battle (November 2018). It’s a game where you build your own fortresses with the goal of eliminating all other teams. I scripted, made UI, did some building, etc. I have a great team of builders that I oversee to make sure we keep producing quality weapons and maps.

For analytical data, I recommend aiming for 15 minutes average play time with a 1 Robux:Visit ratio. This makes your game competitive to even some of the top games out there.

My twitter.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m AhsanVII.

I made Acceleration Rush, a fast-paced level based game. It was featured twice with a 2-week break in between, once for Tablets, and once for Mobile devices.

The featured opportunity gave my game a huge boost, and I am very grateful for the opportunity.

You can follow me on twitter here; https://twitter.com/Ahsan_213

1 Like

Hey, I’m CodeSleepRepeat!

I recently released a game called Obby Rush – it’s a round-based obby game where your main objective is to beat the chosen course within 90 seconds. It was recently featured on phones and that helped us tremendously!

• What game did you work on and please link the game as well?
    Obby Rush

• What was your role in the project? (building, scripting, etc.)?
    Everything – except for building and a bit of GFX

• What month and year were you featured on?
    November 13th - December 11th, 2018

• Share any analytical data you have collected from the featuring period (optional)
    Ranked 274th by gameplay time in November – enough time to span 24+ years
    Peaked 1.4K concurrent players
    2M+ plays in under a month

• What have you learned during the time you have been featured? (optional)
    Being featured is great and helps a ton, but to get the most out of it, you should make sure to stay on top of everything. Obviously it’s best to make sure your game is in as much of a bug-free state as possible, but if bugs occur, try to fix them in a timely manner as you’re going to have lots of unsatisfied players if not.

Aside from that, making sure to push updates while being featured is another huge plus. Listen to the feedback the players give and try to incorporate their ideas. This makes them feel part of the game and makes for more money – I mean satisfied players.

• What is your Twitter (optional)?
    @Code_RBX

4 Likes

Hi,
I’m TriggerThirst, owner of HiddenPowerup and creator of Haunted Hunters, Fart Attack, Escape the Amazing Kitchen (and more coming soon :slight_smile: )

https://www.roblox.com/games/2435684711/Haunted-Hunters
    https://www.roblox.com/games/1407595487/Fart-Attack

Everything - I purchased a few assets (music, sfx) but I’m basically a one man shop at the moment. My kids help out with ideas and tons of testing. In the future I may decide to find a quality builder or small team to venture forward with but right now its just me.

Most recent featuring was for Haunted Hunters from 11/27/2018 - 12/25/2018 on both PC and XBox
    (Earlier in the year Fart Attack was also featured from 6/25/2018 - 7/24/2018 on PC)

• Share any analytical data you have collected from the featuring period (optional)
    2M+ plays so far this month for Haunted Hunters
    First weekend after featuring hit over 3k players at the peak and over 200k visits in a single day
    Averaged over 1k peak most days after that.

Being featured is a wonderful opportunity and will very quickly give you enough players and player feedback to work out what does and doesn’t work in your game and what is fun. It helps to quickly give a better understanding of what players are looking for so that not only the featured game, but future games, can benefit. Just make sure you have a lot of time to play the game with players and interact with them because that first day or two they will tell you 100 things or more that could be improved.

@HiddenPowerup

2 Likes

Hi, I’m R_obotz

Slapshot!: https://www.roblox.com/games/1422287550/Slapshot

I worked alone, I made the whole game.

I was featured on 11/27/18

My twitter is https://twitter.com/RobotzR
    @RobotzR

2 Likes
    sno day: sno day - Roblox

All UI scripting, backend systems (datastore, player stats, shop and devproducts), The beesmas event.

December 11 2018 - January 8 2019

Daily visits spiked during the featuring date and tapered off over time as expected, and have hit a low with the resuming of school. Average visit time increased among PC and Console players, but stayed the same among mobile and tablet players. Revenue spiked on the feature date and fluctuated dramatically thru the featuring durration, hitting highs on weekends and lows midweek.

Daily Visits

Average Visit Length

Revenue

I learned it’s very important to steadily provide more content! If we went too long without releasing new stuff to do, player counts went down.

• What is your Twitter?
    https://twitter.com/123eee555

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Jamie Fristrom of Dungeon Life.

I’m a professional game developer who has been doing Roblox the past couple of years to see if I could make a living at it.

I did pretty much everything except hired @OrbitalOwen to do the environment art and outsourced a couple of animations.

DL was featured from the end of November 2018 to the beginning of January 2019 - lucked out that Roblox skipped a round on the holidays.

Going from advertising/sponsoring the game myself to being featured was like going from college ball to the NFL. I would track the ratings coming in every day before the featuring and they were generally coming in around 80% - once featured they plummeted to 65%. My day 1 retention went from 10% to 2%. The game generally had around 200 ccu’s during the period, which seemed about average compared to the other games featured at the time. So I’ve learned that despite its promising early analytics Dungeon Life is probably not going to pay the bills anytime soon and it’s time to go back to a Real Job, though I do hope to be able to keep the game going as a side project - it’s just cool, there’s nothing else like it out there. That’s game development for you!

Being featured, btw, is a great opportunity to do some baseline testing with a decent sample size. Unfortunately none of my personal gameplay improvements seemed to have a significant effect during the period so what I learned was a few more things that didn’t work. It may be worth keeping an update in your pocket so you can try it out after launch and see if it’s as much of a help as you hope!

I’m @happionlabs on Twitter.

9 Likes

Greetings and salutations!

I am RedByDesign.
I discovered Roblox in 2008 and my game, Vale School of Magic, was sponsored in January, 2019. Vale is a magical role-play, adventure hybrid, where you can play as a student and attend classes or venture out into the world to discover it hands-on.

This opportunity was wonderful as it allowed me to connect with other aspiring game producers and learn about the other projects currently in work by my colleagues in the DevForums.

Credit to @WrathOfTheElvhen and @JackTheRenegade for their pivotal roles leading our team. Many thanks to the contractors who have helped us along the way.

Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/society_magic

3 Likes

Hello, my name is BakonBot. Making shooters is my passion.

I worked on a zombie game Dread
    I am a modeler, UI designer and scripter
    I was featured in January 2019
  • Share any analytical data you have collected from the featuring period
    Dread got a major player boost. It has reached an all time max of 905 players (Compared to 50 before the game was featured)
  • What have you learned during the time you have been featured?
    I have learned that making a game and actively maintaining it (Fixing bugs, patching exploits etc.) is hard, but in the end it all pays off.
  • What is your Twitter?
    My Twitter is @BakonBot
1 Like

Gangureivu and ExquisiteSerenity from Virtuality World.

Our featured game is Horse World. It’s a roleplaying game where you can choose to be either a human or a horse. Our game promotes interaction between the players and imagination. Gangureivu does the scripting and interfaces. ExquisiteSerenity did the models, animations and art. We were featured on mobile and tablet, 2019, February 19th - March 5th. Horse World - Roblox

We recommend you apply for the featured program, it’s free advertisement provided to you by Roblox. Here are the results for the visit count. (In blue an update we released and red is the featured program).

2 Likes

Hi there, I’m Ben. :wave:

I was featured between March 5th and March 19th for my game Guest World. Guest World is essentially a huge universal game where players can explore different worlds, unlock new characters and take part in various minigames and quests, based on our Last Guest Series.

The project has been my largest to date, with development lasting over 15 months and involving many awesome content creators, including @Naperin @TrustMeImRussian @ObliviousHD and @Super_Block. My tasks throughout the project involved directing, programming and UI Design.

So what’s it like in the featured program? I began by sending off my application; it can be challenging initially to meet the given guidelines, however resources such as the new collection of free-to-use catalog sounds greatly helped towards achieving this. After two-to-three months, I received a response from the featured team, who informed me I’d been accepted and had two weeks to prepare before I went up on Featured.

For the duration of Featured, my game shot up enormously in terms of publicity, visits and revenue. On the first Saturday, my game jumped to over 5000 concurrent players at its peak, as apposed to my norm of 1000. As you can see from the following, the Featured program brought huge benefits to my game:

Additionally, the likes-to-dislikes fell from 88% to 85%, and average visit-length dropped slightly.

Overall, the featured program has been one of the best things to happen to our game. For anyone considering Featured I would highly recommend applying: it’s free, quick to sign up for, and also opens up other great opportunities.

4 Likes

Hey, I’m clonedrepository. I develop video-games as a hobby and as a passion.

2 Player Ninja Tycoon: (https://www.roblox.com/games/2599583795/2-Player-Ninja-Tycoon)

I programmed everything you see in-game, working alongside @ValueKing, who built everything.

Last month, March 2019.

Within the first hour of being featured, our game grew from 200 to over 7,000 concurrent players, bringing in a ton of visits and revenue.
    Revenue increased 6-fold, netting a insane about of profit compared to other months.

Overall, I’d recommend this program to ANY developer who thinks their game is unique, as this program is free and really does help boost and get your game noticed.

1 Like

Hey, hudzell here, someone sought on bending common tropes and creating unique and fun experiences.

I work on Parkour almost completely alone, the project started in 2016 as an experiment, but quickly and to my surprise grew to something much bigger in late 2017.
I was featured in March 2019, the main thing I’ve learned from being featured is the realisation that my game is no longer just a little project that produced a lot of traction, it’s become a phenomenon in mine and many others’ lives. And that corporations don’t like free advertising.

2 Likes

Hey I’m afs02.

Robbery Simulator - https://www.roblox.com/games/2822624110/Robbery-Simulator-v1-6
    I organized and paid developers/builders/scripters to create the game.
    March 2019.

Being featured was great. We noticed a great increase in players and did not have to spend Robux sponsoring our game.

Hey, I’m gui110

My first real game ever is Snow Resort and it was featured around last December-January.
I am the main builder and designer as well as the lead developer.

Being featured was an incredible chance and it allowed my game to reach more than 3 million visits. As simple as it seems, it allowed me to learn what it is to have a popular game and it made me grow as an individual.

I now have a better mindset for my future work and I look forward to releasing new projects to the Roblox platform!

You can follow me up on Twitter to see what I work on: @gui110Dev

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.