Interested in making a gun game or already have one? This post may be for you

Introduction

First of all, what is this post about? This post is going to go over some popular firearms that are often portrayed inaccuractely in all sorts of games, not just Roblox. It will also explain what an open bolt weapon is.

Firearms are a staple in many games on Roblox, so it is a shame that so many get them wrong. Games such as Bad Business, Arsenal, Phantom Forces and Counter-Blox are good examples of games that mainly resolve around firearms and have quite a few mistakes in them.

In this tutorial I will be going over some of the most common firearm mistakes found in games and how to correct them, this post will be split into sections.

The Firearms

The AR-15 Platform (M16, M4, HK416, Etc)

The M16 is one of the most iconic firearms ever made. It is so simple that most games get it right, but there are a few that don’t. The most common mistake is with the charging handle:

Sometimes in game this is portrayed as moving backwards when a shot is fired, opening the bolt to allow a round to eject, however this is not the case as the charging handle is man operated. The only time the charging handle should be pulled is when preforming a dry reload, however the bolt release located on the left side of the reciever is also a way to chamber a round.

Most AR-15 rifles fire 5.56x45mm.

M16 Specific Mistakes

Some people believe that every M16 is either full auto or burst fire. This is not the case as the only burst variants of the M16 are the M16A2 and M16A4.

The AK Platform (AK-47, AKM, AK-74, AK-101, AK-12, etc)

Now an extremely small amount of games get the AK wrong, with the most common mistake being the fire selector. The fire selector has 3 positions: safe, automatic and semi-automatic in this order. The mix up is with the automatic and semi-automatic positions.

Safe:
The bolt cannot be pulled back when safety is on.

Automatic:

Semi-Automatic:

Another thing that is gotten wrong quite often is the AK caliber.

Older AKs such as the AK-47 and AKM fire 7.62x39mm, while newer ones such as the AK-74 and AK-12 fire 5.54x39mm.

The UZI Family

Very popular and iconic firearm, however it is extremely common to see all variants portrayed as a closed bolt weapon when it is actually open bolt. Don’t know what open bolt means? Scroll down to the bottom of this post for an explaination.

The only UZI that is not open bolt is the Micro UZI.

The AUG Family and the MP5 Family

This is an extremely common mistake. The MP5 and AUG both have man operated charging handles, when shot the handle does not move.

AUG Firing:
AUG Firing - YouTube

MP5 Firing:
MP5 Firing - YouTube

This also applies to weapons like the G3.

The Thompson Family

This is also a very common mistake, sometimes in games you will see a hybrid Thompson that has the M1 Thompsons Foregrip and the M1921 / M1927 charging handle. You will also sometimes see the M1 Thompson with a drum magazine, while this is possible the M1/M1A1 Thompson was never used with a drum mag.

The Thompsons are all open bolt weapons, for an explanation on what an open bolt is scroll to the bottom of this post.

M1/M1A1 Thompson has the charging handle located on the right side of the reciever. When a mag is empty the charging handle does not close, meaning only 1 reload animation is needed in a game.

The older Thomspons (M1927 seen in the picture) had the charging handle located at the top of the weapon. This would close when the last round was fired.

The M1 Garand (ping?)

The M1 Garand can only be reloaded in the conventional way when all shots have been fired. Racking back the charging handle will eject a round, not the clip.

Video:
M1 Garand Reloading - YouTube

Open Bolt Explaination

Open bolt weapons are often portrayed wrong (Uzi, Thompson, Grease Gun, MP40). The term open bolt means that the weapon will fire if the bolt is pulled back. These images are from the UZI.

Will not fire (bolt is closed):

Will fire (bolt is open):

Open bolt weapons cannot chamber a round.

Congratulations

You have reached the end, I hope you learnt something about firearms today and I hope that you will start to use your new found knowledge when creating your games.

If you want me to go over a specific firearm just leave a reply and I’ll update this post.

Why did I make this post? No idea.

Have a good day.

All images and videos were taken in Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades (H3VR) or in my own game.

16 Likes

Are they fps style? why do I need some like this https://gyazo.com/7cdb75f13855db1022df19fd36ae2035