Introduce an interactive grass system!

Everyone told me I was crazy and that it was quite expensive, but I did it.
Interactive grass system.

How does it work?

At first it may seem that objects use a collision, or something like that, but no.
I used a blender to stuff bones into the grass(I’m not that crazy, so I combined three blades of grass)

When touching, object bends in the direction opposite to the player’s position relative to the blade of grass itself

What about optimization?

Optimization works incredibly!
I tried very hard, read articles on improving optimization, and in the end, I achieved this result:

in the video you can see about 1000 blades of grass!

I have a very weak computer, so there was a calculation that everything should work perfectly. And I did it!

This whole system will be used in my upcoming project. If you want to know more, I can send you a twitter and discord server in reply

Update:

I thought about it and decided to create a plugin that allows you to create such grass. With it, you can change the size of the grass, the degree of its development, and also use a brush for application. If you like this idea, then support this post!

161 Likes

Looks awesome!

Out of curiosity, what kind of algorithms did you use for optimization?

I’ve found mixed results with the use of octrees to cache “chunks” of vegetation nodes in my own system in order to minimise the number of loops.

1 Like

I only processed what is close to the player. Also I used only one loop for all instances in the table

3 Likes

Will this ever become open-sourced/sold? It would be extremely cool in games like (think of assassin games) sneaking around, general tomfoolery, and stealth. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I am thinking about opening this system

6 Likes

I would definitely use this if it was open source. Cool system.

2 Likes

I want to know more! Looks like it would be a cool game!

3 Likes

My twitter → https://twitter.com/DanielM00512725

4 Likes

This is something I was thinking of for my future game whenever I get to that point, I have no clue how I’d do it though, since I’m still in the beginner stages of coding.

My game will have a emphasis on stealth at times, so hiding in bushes, around objects etc, I also thought of grass but think grass and bush movement would just add to the game if I could do it . As my game will take the more “realistic” approach to environmental design.

(I’m first working on getting comfortable with scripting, I know it’s not best to just jump into a big project)

4 Likes

You don’t have to study Lua from beginning to end to write something like this. It is enough just to study what exactly will be used, as well as to study everything related to it. Good luck!

5 Likes

I went to your Twitter and have to say, your work is amazing, I need to learn how to do this because again my game will also need this kind of thing, think shadow of the tombraider, it’s where my inspiration comes from, but of course it will be different.

I’m sure with time and more practice I’ll eventually be able to script things on my own more better, currently trying to do a menu system for practice.

3 Likes

oh gosh! I am also very much inspired by TOMB RAIDER, and also such game as Little Nightmares, uncharted, Tlou2. I am sure that you will succeed! :grin: :+1:

5 Likes

Ah cool, yeah hopefully, it’s the first actual game idea I’ve gotten, and the longest I’ve been motivated for a project for quite a few years

4 Likes

Cool thats like real life grass.

3 Likes

Oh my god… Definitely would pay for such technology

5 Likes

I suggest turning it into a paid plugin, it’d help you with funding your ads once your game is out and it’d help builders like me :wink:

4 Likes

I think it’s a great idea! I will start making a plugin soon

8 Likes

the grass system is very great ! congratulation to the developper for the game !

4 Likes

I would gladly pay for a plug-in for this

3 Likes

oh shoot, this would be great!

4 Likes