Introducing Accessibility Settings

Cool that this is finally released, but it feels really rushed.

Reduced motion has a variety of bugs.
Clicking the escape menu button 3 times in fast succession breaks the whole thing, and makes the menu invisible (but the background darkening is still visible)
Switching tabs in the escape menu can do the same thing.
The ZIndex issue with the escape menu canvas group didnt get fixed either. The canvasGroup is placed below the background darkening frame, which causes a visible “snap” to the proper ZIndex.

Videos:
Canvas frames disappearing:

Canvas frame incorrect ZIndex (+fix):

Setting not being respected:

(The new topbar actually doesnt support either of the new settings, but I assume its because its in beta)

3 Likes

Experiences can and should implement their own colorblind-friendly options, or ensure that their experiences are colorblind friendly by default. Our app is pretty colorblind accessible (though there are a couple places where we use color alone to indicate meaning and I can assure you those have all been reported as bugs and we are working with the appropriate teams to address) - but colorblind filters (full-screen color filters) are generally regarded to be not a great solution, and so we don’t intend to support them.

We do lightly cover this principle here in the accessibility best practices article, feel free to suggest improvements and additions!!

2 Likes

This update was released a month ago and then got removed a day later, why is that? :thinking:

1 Like

This is a great start to making Roblox more accessible! Though as someone with tritanopia, I’d love to see some colorblindness settings in the future.

lol i made these videos weeks ago

11 Likes

This is great! For the next settings update, can you make an option to hide robux count when purchasing, that would be real great for streamers.

My issue is with this if you have Rain and you enable Reduce Motion then it stops people are going to complain about how it stopped the rain from moving and if its for Celebrating a win it wont give the same effect and make people leave for a Lackluster Experience on them winning

Good update! The new menu makes it hard to see what’s going on sometimes. So this will be useful.
The reduced motion part, I am not sure about due to rain, victory effects, and more.
Other than that, It’s a good update.
I rate the update 8/10. It could use more features though.

Yeah, honestly the effect was more to show something constantly moving, then not - but it’s not a very good example :thinking: I like the idea of a Win or Confetti effect - maybe i will try rewriting that example :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great, but can we please get discrete graphics options already? Even games as far back as like 2010 have had this.

5 Likes

Are there plans to bring these accessibility settings to the VR (PC + Meta Quest) platforms?

This is unrelated to the post, but I wish I had a way to toggle GroupTransparency and GroupColor3 on a normal Frame or a way to disable a CanvasGroup instead of doing the trick that RobloxGui does which is parenting the whole UI into a CanvasGroup to fade it and then parenting it back.

If I were to use this trick it will cause issues in my game’s code and so I need to rely in the old way of tweening every single element…

Wow it almost got access to players graphics quality must be expand of settings like considering most players of accessibility of this hard work on project more games in the near future.

It is grateful how to allowing on new experience with graphics quality such as preferred theme (dark/light) etc, maybe allowing users of advanced with graphics quality as well.

1 Like

Just wondering, was there a reason these settings weren’t put under the UserGameSettings? It’s definitely not a big deal but it’s a little inconvenient to have to hook into 2 different instances to adapt to users’ settings.

This feature is cool! ill definitely use it for games

We considered UserGameSettings but were advised against it for a bunch of reasons - i think it’s a pattern we wish to move away from in the future.

4 Likes

These are great improvements, however they do bring up another accessibility issue thats long been a problem with the Roblox chat and also the Creator hub and all of Guilded. There is no light mode option! Dark mode is not accessible to all users of the platform. Some devs have to use external plugins switch the creator hub to light mode. I have been unable to move my community from discord to guilded due to accessibility concerns. Roblox chat and the pause menu are also constantly locked in dark mode as well.

White text on a dark background can be very problematic for some users with vision impairment. In addition some users with neurological disabilities may have trouble reading the text as it might jump, blur, or spin. Light mode may be more accessible for some users with these conditions.

Please consider adding light mode options everywhere on Roblox and Guilded to improve accessibility!

1 Like

Not sure how useful this would be to anyone else, but one accessibility setting I’d really like to see is brightness, i.e. being able to dim everything, preferably at least down to 50%.

I’m really sensitive to light, and my Meta Quest 2 headset is still extremely bright at the dimmest it can possibly be. I’d really like to be able to play Roblox in VR without getting eye strain after 10 minutes.

3 Likes

as a photosensitive disabled person this means a lot!! W for roblox, love seeing more accessible gaming

Is there a possibility you could add a Bold Text and Text Size one? Most operating systems have this functionality natively so if you don’t add it in the accessibility settings it’d be nice if we could access the native accessibility settings in GuiService! Also, does roblox support screen readers?

1 Like